Preamp for cello piezo pickup

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all
I recently did a pickup for my cello made of piezo film, with a minimalist fet buffer. I really want to take things to the next level, building a stereo preamp (one channel for pickup, other for mic, or maybe two piezos in different place), with a blender, combined with a DI, adding a monitor output for headphones...
My question is can you recommend a good design for the preamp? I got quite a few designs, but I wanna ask around if any of you had experience with piezo cello preamp, or similar, simply because I don't have enough free time to experiment with all different designs.
I like one with gain control, some basic eq, and blend control.
Any ideas, advice?
Thanks
Gabriel

Gabriel,
I'm not sure this is the right forum for your question, but I'll take a shot. I recently built a preamp for a piezo pick-up for a harp, but nothing like what you're looking for, just a FET buffer to drive the cable and amp.

I think you might be better off doing individual preamps for the piezo and mic to get the signals up close to line-level, then going into a traditional mixer. There are a few DIY mixer designs out there if you don't want to buy one, but overall, your desires are pretty advanced, especially given you don't have a lot of time to devote to development and debug.

Just my thoughts,
Bill

Hi bill
Yeah, maybe I'm in the wrong place....
I made up my mind to put two piezos on my cello, so the preamp doesn't have to be stereo, i can just put a blender before the first stage.
I do have experience building preamps, and different kind of amps, effects, etc, but i'm quite new with piezo film.
I got a design from albert kreuzer, really good design, 3 stage jfet (if you bypass the eq), and quite easy to build.

:cop: Copyrighted material removed per forum policy. Please provide a link instead.

My only dark spots are:
never done piezo blender, does it work the same way than the magnetic pickup?
how can i run the whole unit off phantom power?
(obviously gonna have to change the input resistors, and gonna leave out a few switches)
I do have the time to debug, just don't wanna go through building loads of different designs...

Gabriel,
All good questions that I'm going to defer to someone else. Sims of the buffer I built showed it only consumed about 300 uamps, so I just stuck a 9V battery in it and called it good. It works just fine for this application and should last a long time.

Bill

I think I know which one you mean, I actually built Don Tillman's preamp cable, single stage fet pre, runs off phantom power. I t sounds good, that's why I was thinking of a similar design
http://www.albertkreuzer.com/pics/el/pre/schem/preamp_sch21.gif
this one is ot too much more complicated, and got all necessary controls i need, and by adding a di and headphone out it would become my new best friend

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.