Guitar preamp for LM3886

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Tonepad.com has some naked PCB op amp projects. He sells PCB's, so buy your components locally. Don't use 741, use a pin compatible TL082 or 4558 or something.
I have found some tube 10W Bogan or David PA amps at the charity resale shop. The output transformers of these are garbage, but the LM3886 will replace that. The Bogen etc. power supply transformer and case are okay, All electrolytic caps will have to be replaced of course.

The Tilman JFET preamp you mentioned will not get any overdrive/distortion.
I had Damage Control tube preamp years ago and IMHO the tubes are just gimmicks. From practical point of view I still prefer opamp based preamp like Sansamp GT2 and some other JFET based preamps. Go here for some good guitar preamps / simulators :
www.tonepad.com (sansamp GT2, one of the most famous preamp)
www.runoffgroove.com (JFET preamps derived from some famous guitar amps)

Last edited:
I am currently looking at Professor Tweed, It is appealing to me that it reproduces that tweedy sound since I love blues, but i wonder If it can used as as preamp or just pedal. I mean when i would set his gain low for clean signal. Or does it need another preamp after it?

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.