The Doors -- What amps?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The California bands of the late 60s--pro and aiming to be--were big Acoustic amp users. I lived in Socal then concerts were loud. Beamy too. Many of those Acoustic and Kustom heads still work. Both companies used good speakers too.

Aaha - Not many people will remember the brand "TEISCO" - Good kit for their day, I wonder if there are any units out there still operational?
The Sound Man

Yeah I don't know how Jaco sounded so good thru those Acoustic amps. Later I saw him thru dual 8X10 bottoms; much better. Shame he died so young.
Most of Jaco's tone came from his fingers.
The way a good player caresses or attacks the strings will have massive impact over the tone of an instrument.

It truly is a shame that Jaco was murdered, but he was quite out of control and deeply misunderstood.

Americans in particular do not deal well with the emotionally disturbed human.

I think it may have something to do with a fear of introspection when we see some one so talented.

Jaco was an amazing, creative and free soul...

RIP

Hi,

I am in the middle of restoring an Acoustic 150 head (second generation, circa 1974). I know a lot of guitarists are all gaga over tube amps, and I have several that I have restored as well as built and designed. But this Acoustic 150 has a very nice sound to it. And it is totally solid state. It is much warmer sounding them my late 60's vintage Kustom amps (and a lot quieter with respect to hiss.) Acoustic amps were very popular in the 70's. They were also loud, sounded nice and were easier then most to service. There are several people who collect and use vintage Acoustic amps. If you do a google search, you will probably find a couple sites dedicated to Acoustic Control Corp amplifiers. They built real work horse amps. Today, most of the oldest ones suffer from capacitor issues. Most notable the output capacitor and the power supply capacitor. Yes, these amps have an output capacitor that is usually something like 1000uf at 50 volts. Replacing that guy really brings back the smooth tone of these amps. Going through the preamp boards and power amp board and replacing those old electrolytic caps also helps bring back that classic 70's Acoustic tone. All in all, great classic solid state amps. Do they sound great? Well? you'll have to let your own ears decide, but to me, they sound excellent for their intended purpose. I mean, if I want the Tweed Bassman sound, I'll buy a Tweed bassman. If I want the Acoustic sound, I'll plug into my 150 and let her rip.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.