Attaching a DAC Dongle to a Phone with MicroUSB

I am very confused . . .

I just purchased a Hidizs S9 Pro DAC Dongle, and want to use it with my smartphone to play music. The manual (for the DAC) says "Just plug it in."

Well, the DAC cable is USB-C (at both ends), but my [older] Samsung phone has a microUSB connector. Do I buy a microUSB-to-USB-C cable, or can I use the 3.5mm headphone output on the phone? I'm assuming the headphone output is already analog, and don't know if that can be over-ridden to output a digital signal.

Assuming I go with the microUSB output, do I need just an adapter, or an OTG cable? I don't seem to be able to find an OTG microUSB (male) to USB-C (female) cable. Can I go with an OTG microUSB (male) to USB 2.0 (female) and then use the USB 2.0 adapter that came with the DAC? That kind of leaves me with a very kludgy system . . .

I managed to find and purchase an OTG adapter that is microUSB (male) to USB-C (female). I plugged the microUSB into my phone, and the USB-C into the DAC cable that came with the Hidizs S9 Pro. My phone will only play music thru its own speaker when hooked up this way, and the DAC doesn't light up to indicate its receiving a signal . . .

I think you're right about my needing to upgrade my phone to use the DAC.