Stax SRX Mk3 imbalance

I own two pairs of stax SRX mk3 headphones. One of them is in perfect condition with no audible imbalances at all and another one with a noticeable imbalance in the right driver. Ideally i would like both to work perfectly so i can use one of them regularly knowing that if it brakes i have a backup. Ive tried fixing the problem by increasing the volume of the right driver but it is pretty clear that the drivers don't match (the right driver has a clear lack of bass).

I have been researching what can cause imbalance in stax headphones and my conclusion is that it can be caused by many different factors and since i have no experience with repairing headphones i could use some help narowing down what might specifically be the problem in my case.

Also if it has any significance when i first bought the "bad" pair of mk3s the right driver seemed completely faulty with clear permanent distortion in the right driver (it sounded kinda like how cheap toys sound). Then i let it sit for some months and disasembled the right cup to see what it looked like on the inside put it back together and turned it on and it was pretty much working except for the lack of bass in the right driver and some (rare) distortion playing certain sounds.

ps: People say that stax lacks bass i dont think that is true at all :)

Yes its easy to damage the membrane but you will only be spraying one side of it and do it on a very clean table/bench top and nothing distracting you .

If you are worried about dust run a hand held vacuum cleaner over the area .

Whatever you do try to keep your fingers away from the diaphragm and take your time.

Before spraying anything, check the connectivity/resistance of the wires as they enter the ear cups. My pair had fatigue failure which caused a level imbalance. Chopping out a few inches and re-soldering still left enough cable for the Y section.

Last edited: