What to do to make big speaker dumb toy wearable and functional ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
after listening to myh old Stanton Dynaphase 60 2-way cans with a rather large but feeble looking "woofer" (sound is surprisingly good) , I'd like something simillar so picked Faital's 3FE22 as a driver. Its mounting tabs span ~106mm so a 4" pvc pipe coupller to mate two 4" pipes might be the simplest ready made enclosure.

The sound might be a travesty - but the initial concern would be to make - or re-purpoise a headband which would attach to the pvc "cups". I think thin plywood and 120mm ear pads might work for the baffle and pad part. Two thick wires or rods might make a crude one position one person headband.

Ik assume open back may make more sense ?

would resistive cloth damping on the ear side be needed? Would it be helpful to drill holes on the other side's perimeter to de-Q tunnel resonances - how might the spectrum play with thjis driver? I'd probably use a 15W TPA3116 as power

Might it hit the BIG BASS DRUM HARD ????

hGYgZrH.png

IF that fails then maybe it would do a "FAST"

iHQJFIy.jpg

Last edited:
IF that fails then maybe it would do a "FAST"
You know you're beyond help when the obvious solution for that is:

A tactile transducer mounted in the middle of the headband to press down on the skull. Those who don't have male pattern baldness could shave a small contact area up top, or use a small strip of spring steel to press it against the forehead. Lastly, a level/crossover/tone control to adjust for skull size, bone density and lack of, umm... substance... in the skull cavity.

Freddi, looking at the hornresp analysis- this isn't quite 2 pi radiation is it? I've never looked at messing with headphones before, but it is curious. How would they really need to be modeled radiating into a small, lossy front chamber at such a close distance?

Hi Tim -

thanks for the input

I've not yet found enough info but suspect someone at Superbestfriendsaudio may know.

With a custom fit IEM, the coupling is pretty much down to DC and small movements needed. Over ear and more leaky systems must be different.

Here's one source which looks interesting and may be helpful

Google Translate

And one paper (a master thesis) cited above:
https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/23a0/26a70df95e695e49bfe40dcf43c0a9589997.pdf

Plus this paper
https://www.bksv.com/media/doc/bo0455.pdf

btw, I've been running my Stanton Dynaphase 60 with a cheap ($25 shipped w. PS) and cheerful (so far) TPA3116D2 amp and the combo sounds really natural with the binaural recording below - it may be better than my T20RPMKLII and SHP9500

I get the idea the dummy head fares better with the scale and distances involved below than an orchestra (?)

YouTube

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.