Removing the baffle/grill from HiFiMan HE300's speaker - what will safely work ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have an old HE300 with one speaker fried and wish to remove the old drivers and retrofit with new drivers. What is the proper way to separate the driver from its baffle / grill without damage to the baffle ?

Also, what 50mm drivers might you suggest for the retrofit ? - There's several direct from China and also a Peerless Tymphany which should physically fit.

Attachments

• HE300.jpg
    HE300.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 102
yes - its my kid's headphone and I don't have it at hand to see if the bond can be broken with a hobby knife. Although fairly smooth, HE300 to my ears had poor low frrequency power handling with lots of doubling. (unless it was the amplifier at the time being severely under-powered - ?)

Although fairly smooth, HE300 to my ears had poor low frrequency power handling with lots of doubling. (unless it was the amplifier at the time being severely under-powered - ?)
Are these the original HE-300s? Those were a bit meh in general. If you look at their measurements, frequency response is a bit crummy, and level handling is not their greatest forté in general (though there is worse). Rev. 2 was noticeably improved.

Unfortunately, a lot in headphone design is about enclosures and pads. Hoping to improve matters without any experience or measurement facilities is being very optimistic at the very least.

Thanks for the pointer to the Tymphany drivers though (you rarely see any data on headphone drivers). It's the HPD series. The 40 mm one appears to have some proper headphone EQ (free or diffuse field), the 50 mm one just has a generally upwards-sloping frequency response (which would be compensated by proximitely effect in use, I guess) with high peak sensitivity, indicating high efficiency and low moving mass. Both have vented magnets for low Fs, as usual in headphone drivers.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.