Transformer question for headphone amp build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member

Attachments

• Annotation 2019-05-22 200427.jpg
    Annotation 2019-05-22 200427.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 219
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Your average low impedance headphones (of the kind this circuit is intended to drive) need only a few milliamps of current for typical listening levels.

I did some tests on this some years ago using some Sony headphones (MDRV-7) and found that well under 1 volt of drive was louder than I would ever want and typically around 200 to 400 millivolts covered all normal listening.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I personally would get the 25VA.
+1

Also:
Small transformers have the poorest regulation so they can have pretty severe voltage fluctuations with load and whilst this maybe fine for one circuit you might just not want the hassle with another circuit where unloaded voltages exceed capacitor voltage ratings for example.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Sorry guys, I have to disagree :)

Look at the kit it is to power. There are four 4580 opamps and what actually looks like a small relay. A small 12 volt toroid would have a regulation figure of around 20% meaning the 12 volt AC becomes 14.4 volts under no load. That would generate raw rails of no more than -/+20 volts and the kit clearly shows 25 volt caps and 7812/7912 regulators.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
My calcs and experience using a 12v dual secondary trafo like Antek says it’s about 17v rails, no load. A 5v drop through a 7812/7912 is about right. In practice, the 10VA will be a maybe 2V under from sag with any appreciable load. That would put the drop across the VR kind of close to the recommended minimum 3.5v drop.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Have a look at this:

The Signal Transfer Company: Power Output

Don't be put off by the maths, just take each section in turn and try and follow it. Although this was written for designing power amplifiers and supplies, the basic theory is sound and applicable.

Remember that for your headphone amp, you won't be putting more than a couple of volts across the headphone load and so the current is pretty minimal.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Something that isn't mentioned in the above link as far as I know is the question of 'regulation factor' of the transformer.

Transformers are normally specified when delivering their full rated load current into a resistive load. At lighter loadings the secondary voltage will rise by some percentage and that is often quoted in the data sheet. For the 7VA transformer I linked to it is 19% meaning the voltage will be closer to 14.28 volts off load.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.