Electrostatic headphones with a subwoofer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2008
Paid Member
I have had a chance finally to listen to some Stax electrostatic headphones. Compared to any headphones I used before, they are really transparent to any sound from outside. And at the same time, I like the kick of a good (mid)bass horn. Have you ever tried to use electrostatic headphone with a hifi subwoofer and crossover, to get the stomach feeling and kick from outside? I guess people are using bass shakers for that, but that is not satisfactory to me.

Hi pelanj

I use Stax and quite a lot of Beyerdynamic phones and I find, that the feeling of a good bass is basically a question of self-convincing. There is no lack of bass for instance with a DT770 and I don't miss any additional bass from the outside world (The DT770 is a closed-back model anyway). But I am not a "bass head" and find what a T70 provides just good enough...
But you mentioned electrostatics and I neither miss any bas with my Stax Gamma Pro or even the SR-5 New. I find the amount of bass to be adequate and natural. And of course there is the question of using a normal sub, if one wants to listen privately, without disturbing my partner...

Ben

Hi pelanj
Yes, I do understand that. If you use an external sub, you would need to compensate for the time and phase difference in run time between the headphones and the (comparatively) "far away" sub woofer. A DSP for the head phones could do that.

But for my personal taste I prefer the musical integrity the head phones provide. Also, my loudspeakers deliver more than enough really low bass (two 15-inch woofers per side in my open baffle speakers) for when I can listen without phones. May be the listening experience with my normal speakers has trained my hearing in such a way, that I feel the bass, even whent the head phones won't deliver it (conditional behaviour?)...

But your suggestion would be a well-worth experiment. I could try it easily, by switching off the amp for the midrange and highs of my speakers and let run only the woofers (they go up to only 300 Hz). So, there is still the questions of time and phase difference between woofers and head phones, unless I sit right in the middle between the speakers.

Ben

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.