TPA6120A2 as a line-driver? Instead of headphone amp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Is this part OK for driving a "line input" on a receiver for example? I am designing a DAC and I want to be able to drive headphones, but I also want to be sure it can also connect to a standard amp system (Single ended) without causing any trouble. Would this be a decent solution for this?

I can't forsee any problems driving into a line input with a headphone driver. Though if you want to get decent levels and your cans are 600ohm (like my Beyer DT880s) you do have to swing a lot of volts and its possible you'll clip some line inputs if you send them 10V peaks.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
If it will drive a headphone, it will drive a line, even a long line in a hostile environment.

Historically there could be a compromise designing a power amp for low-low-THD and affordable price. But the chip listed has absurdly low THD even when driving good power, and would be insignificantly better on light load.

I can't forsee any problems driving into a line input with a headphone driver.
That's the original purpose of the tpa6120.
If it will drive a headphone, it will drive a line, even a long line in a hostile environment.

That's great! They are a great option for output drivers because they are also not terribly expensive, they have minimal circuits required to run them, and they also have options for single supply voltage.

I asked the same question on the TI site and got similar, positive responses. They also made some advice..

Perhaps TPA6138A2 or TPA6139A2 could be better options. These devices have their line driver versión DRV632 and DRV612 respectively and also these have internal charge pump to generate negative rail from positive voltaje supply.

They are in deed wonderful options. They also suggest in the datasheets flexible uses like the one I'm asking about. Then I stumbled on the TPA6130A2. It's I2C controlled for the volume. I think it will make a wonderful addition to my DAC configuration.

http://www.ti.com/product/TPA6130A2

What do you think about the TPA6130A2 as a line driver for the PCM5242? Thanks for all the advice. Cheers.

Jay

Hi All,

I'm just a beginner, don't know much about electronic stuff.
So please be kind to correct/teach me if I'm wrong, incomplete, etc...
I'm there to learn and share.

Maybe some hints I noticed reading Ti's DS :
- Hand soldering those chips isn't so friendly, except PWQFN maybe...
- 9µVrms Noise
- The THD increase drastically within 100mW (2.5 to 5.0V)

Thank's

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.