Advice for First Headphone Amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi. First, I've also posted this on Head-Fi. If this is bad protocol, let me know and I'll clean up my act. :eek:

I've just gotten an Amiron Home, and am loving it. The rest of my system is:
PiCoreplayer --> Modwright Transporter (EML Mesh rectifier, RCA Grey vt231) --> Sony TA-4650 (which I brought back to life thanks to y'all at diyaudio!)

Time for a headphone amp! (Amirons are 250 Ohm).

If I were buying an amp, I think I'd be looking for something like the Feliks Echo (still researching) , but I'd love to DIY my amp. I'm comfortable with solder, and don't want to go the starter kit route. I'm thinking hybrid/tube design, but not really sure why, except that I think tubes are cool.

I'm learning about the Jonokuchi, Millet Max, Torpedo 3, Tubelab SE, etc. and my head is swimming! I want a high-end amp, but don't want to wait until I'm an old man until it gets built!

Main question: any thoughts that may help me narrow things down?

Minor question: since the Transporter has the volume adjustment, is there any issue with doing without a volume pot on the headphone amp? Would I have to change anything in the design?

Thanks!

Joined 2009
Paid Member
You can add as many tubes as you want. Just light the filaments and leave the rest of the tube disconnected. It'll give you the subtle glow in the dark with all the benefits of solid state. ;)

If a tube amp is what you want, there should be plenty of designs available. A 250 Ω headphone lends itself well to OTL (output transformer-less) designs, which will lower the cost. If cost is not an object, something like my DG300B (built with 300B, 2A3, or 45) would provide the ultimate glow-in-the-dark experience with good tube sound to boot.

Tom

Your headphones are efficient, you don't need much power. The beta22 is complete overkill design imo.

If you want something clean, get a simple opamp+buffer amp. You can make it fancy with balanced inputs, dual mono construction, super-regulators. Tom above has a particularly fine implementation of this.

If you want tubes, I'd look at something like the 6e5p design I've got here. Very similar to the original Torpedo, very clean sound. Could maybe be even cleaner with a µ-follower setup. Two boxes construction is a good idea once you use output transformers at low levels. In the US, you have the chance to have affordable parafeed transformers for headphones. If you want more upscale than Edcor, Electra Print is an option iirc. Or Sowter in Europe.

Wow! The DG300B is BEAUTIFUL! It also made me realize that I have a budget.

00940, that 6e5p design is intriguing. Is there more somewhere about this design? Also, I'm semi-literate electrically, can you explain a little or point me to something about a µ-follower setup?

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
> Amiron Home

1 Volt, 4mA, 4mW, takes these to 108dB SPL which is really loud.

4 V 16mA 64mW makes 120dB SPL which is quickly deafening. I have used headphone systems capable of that, but never at full blast for more than a few seconds (on-site recording of loud acts).

A '5532 chip with +/-9V rails will be plenty. Don't even need output buffers.

Many "small" vacuum tubes can deliver >4mA, you don't need a monster bottle.

IMHO the most important considerations are the finish on the case and the "snak" of the headphone jack.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Pocket sized SE Class A Headphone Amplifier

il_570xN.1219256699_q6jk.jpg

pocket-class-a-schematic.png

Discussion and technical details here:
xrk971 Pocket Class A Headamp GB

Reviews here:
XRK Audio NHB Pocket Amp Review - Headfonics.com

XRK Audio NHB Portable Class A | Reviews | Headphone Reviews and Discussion - Head-Fi.org

Pocket Class A DIY Headphone Amp by XRK971 – Audio Primate

Desktop version capapble of driving 32ohm headphones using same topology here:
xrk971 Desktop Class A (DCA) Headphone Amp

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for your advice. I've gone ahead and order the parts for a Whammy. It seemed like a decent quality build, and something that I would get around to doing this century. I'm very excited. This also means that I'll likely move on to a more ambitious amp in the near future!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.