Splitting output from passive volume attenuator to headphone amp/powered speakers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a DIY stepped volume attenuator/input source selector between all of my audio devices and a pair of powered studio monitors. I want to build this headphone amplifier to go between the speakers and the attenuator so that I can use the stepped volume knob to control both speakers and headphones.

It seems like the easiest way to do this would be to simply split the output after the attenuator to feed into both the headphone amp and the monitors. I know there would be a drop in signal. But is there any danger in that? What other options do I have for splitting the signal? I've been Googling this for an hour or so, but I haven't found anyone with this specific question, particularly when the speakers have built-in amplifiers.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Well, I have to turn the speakers on every time I use them, and I wouldn’t leave headphones plugged in, so it probably wouldn’t be an issue. I don’t mind putting a switch in; I’d just need to know the right type. For the input selector I have a break-before-make rotary switch, and it prevents popping when switching, but I don’t know if that would be what I’d need for the output switch.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.