• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

The "buck an ohm" group buy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I recently came across some surplus Yageo 5W 1/2 wirewound resistors and the seller wants $100 for the lot of 200. Since I'm going to be matching them for my own amp, you'll be getting resistors that should be accurate to the milliohm. Are these any good and if so, is anyone interested in taking a piece of this?

Just to update. I bought the whole lot and am in the process of matching them. They are 5W non-inductive wirewounds in a ceramic case. They fit into the hifi Zen Aleph-X boards and are the perfect source resistors for those 8 FET versions. They're also quite useful for you RC power supply builders who need a 20W tolerant scrubbing :)

raidfibre said:
I believe they are wound half in one direction and half the opposite direction so the magnetic fields cancel out.

That would not be so much a cancellation effect as a phase reversal effect. The winding pattern you refer to would be like to inductors in series, one with a left hand twist and one with a right hand twist. Cancellation requires two seperate coils with seperate twiist around a common core. They share the input and output leads so each coil is a seperate resistor, a non magnetic resistor is two resistors in parralel both are inductive thay just generate opposite fileds simultanously and cancel each other simultaneously. It would be impossible to have a coil that is non inductive, so make two inductive coils to cancel each other.

Regards

Anthony

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.