• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Dual PCM1794A DAC Module - PecanPi

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I am in the process of designing a PecanPi DAC module that I already have a customer for. They are purchasing 100 of them.

I am putting this here to see if anybody else would like to join in to purchase these modules. Each module will be about $200 each. I will have final pricing in the next two weeks or so. The price will be lower with more buyers.

The modules will feature dual PCM1794A DACs in monaural mode and have specifications identical to my company's PecanPi DAC.

The module will have:
  • Balanced and single-ended outputs.
  • The input power supplies will be +/-12V (analog) and 3.3V (digital)
  • The size of the module will be 74 by 64mm as per the attached drawing.
  • The input signals will be I2S at 3.3V and support up to 24/192.
  • The modules will use my proprietary dual differential output stages with OPA1612 op-amps.
  • Complete reclocking with Crystek femtosecond jitter oscillator

Attachments

• Module.JPG
    Module.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 418
As per previous post... measurements/test results attached.

Half of the images are for single-ended output (2.5V at 0dBFS) and half the images are for the balanced output (5V at 0dBFS).

These measurements are from my PecanPi DAC, I don't see any reason the module will be any different as it uses the same exact parts and layout.

Implementation
DAC chips:
  • Dual flagship Burr-Brown PCM1794As in monaural mode

Reclocking
  • Crystek CCHD-575 oscillator -- ultra-low clock jitter of 82fSec
  • SRC4193 for reclocking

Output stage: True balanced dual different output stages
  • Uses OPA1612s
  • 0.1% low noise Panasonic resistors
  • 1% high-quality COG capacitors
  • Proprietary filtering topology

Ultra-low noise linear power supplies:
  • TPS7A4700 (4.17uV noise) for positive op-amp power supply
  • TPS7A3301 (16uV noise) for negative op-amp power supply
  • TPS7A4901 (15.4uV noise) for DAC Chips

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Attachments

• Dashboard (RCA).JPG
    Dashboard (RCA).JPG
    237.8 KB · Views: 375
  • Dashboard (XLR).JPG
    Dashboard (XLR).JPG
    245.6 KB · Views: 361
  • Dynamic Range (RCA).JPG
    Dynamic Range (RCA).JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 349
  • Dynamic Range (XLR).JPG
    Dynamic Range (XLR).JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 347
  • Jitter (RCA).JPG
    Jitter (RCA).JPG
    115 KB · Views: 97
  • Jitter (XLR).JPG
    Jitter (XLR).JPG
    108.9 KB · Views: 98
  • THD+N vs Level (RCA).JPG
    THD+N vs Level (RCA).JPG
    97.2 KB · Views: 91
  • THD+N vs Level (XLR).JPG
    THD+N vs Level (XLR).JPG
    95.1 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:

fab

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi

Interesting .

Have you also considered other opamps for output stage. I know well the opa1612 in the output stage of DAC and while it is good I prefer the sound of AD4898-2 for that application. At least it is my preference when associated with an AK-449x DAC. The AD opamp is more expensive though than the OPA1612....:rolleyes:

Additionally the OPA1642 sounds fine to me with the PCM1793 chip. Another jfet good sounding opamp in this application to consider is the AD8620.

From my humble experience the output stage opamp of the DAC can make a noticeable sound difference:)

Fab

Last edited:
Hi

Interesting .

Have you also considered other opamps for output stage. I know well the opa1612 in the output stage of DAC and while it is good I prefer the sound of AD4898-2 for that application. At least it is my preference when associated with an AK-449x DAC. The AD opamp is more expensive though than the OPA1612....:rolleyes:

Additionally the OPA1642 sounds fine to me with the PCM1793 chip. Another jfet good sounding opamp in this application to consider is the AD8620.

From my humble experience the output stage opamp of the DAC can make a noticeable sound difference:)

Fab

For this particular build, the customer (100 pieces) has tested PecanPi with the OPA1612 and was very happy, so the boards will be made with these particular op-amps.

Now if you get the bare boards, you are welcome to use any opamp that is pin-compatible with 1612 for the final output stage.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.