• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Direct Drive DSD

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
.. Most likely I will also roll out motherboard with Amanero and these DSD modules mounted to make it easy for those who want to use it this way.

Acko, The Amanero Isolator/Reclocker boards where derived for some good reasons, do you not think this new Direct drive DSD would benefit from the same eventhough we are treating the digital domain differently at the conversion point?

Acko, The Amanero Isolator/Reclocker boards where derived for some good reasons, do you not think this new Direct drive DSD would benefit from the same eventhough we are treating the digital domain differently at the conversion point?

Yes, this DSD DAC will also benefit from the isolator/ reclocker but someone also challenged me to prove that it is really the case so the reason for starting out without the reclocker first. Then there is all the talk about DSD being the ulitmate in audio reproduction, most analog sounding etc.... We will also find out in due course. e.g. media players have evaluated as posted earlier

So it is not just about rolling out another product :)

Last edited:
I hope you are not paying too much attention to the skeptics and naysayers. ;)

It's indeed very interesting to hear different players are making such a big perceived difference.

Actually, I am a skeptic also unless I have actually heard things :D
Have a look at the pic promoting DSD, source: Merging Technologies
Impulse response for a 'Click" sound.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Makes you feel like dumping pcm altogether but hang on, most DSD DACs have some form of IV converters and/or active filters usually around OpAmps that ends up slewing the output. Measurements may have been done before these? So doubt very much if the final outcome compares with the analog version.
There is also something missing in the comparison: most DSD recordings are derived from DxD (pcm352.8k)-original master. So to keep things 'fair' comparisons should also be made with DxD :2c:

... when the skeptical ;) academic in me starts churning. ...I have no idea what that graph is saying.

Thought this was a classic example of a control system behaviour in response to an input stimulus :scratch2:
Other types step response, square wave... Impulse is the hardest, afaik

Maybe try this when you drive your car next time or watch the fighter jets or missiles- plenty in action nowadays:D

Last edited:
Actually, I am a skeptic also unless I have actually heard things :D

Have a look at the pic promoting DSD, source: Merging Technologies

Impulse response for a 'Click" sound.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Makes you feel like dumping pcm altogether but hang on, most DSD DACs have some form of IV converters and/or active filters usually around OpAmps that ends up slewing the output. Measurements may have been done before these? So doubt very much if the final outcome compares with the analog version.

There is also something missing in the comparison: most DSD recordings are derived from DxD (pcm352.8k)-original master. So to keep things 'fair' comparisons should also be made with DxD :2c:

Yes true with the latest Classical albums that have been recorded with Merging's gear. But the majority of what's out there today are direct from analog master tape, or upsampled from PCM to DSD.

However it would be nice to see mainstream studios start to record in DxD. Better yet multibit DSD. A little birdy told me this isn't too far away. This will eliminate the need for PCM formats altogether.

Last edited:
Yes true with the latest Classical albums that have been recorded with Merging's gear. But the majority of what's out there today are direct from analog master tape, or upsampled from PCM to DSD.

However it would be nice to see mainstream studios start to record in DxD. Better yet multibit DSD. A little birdy told me this isn't too far away. This will eliminate the need for PCM formats altogether.

Yes, will need to watch out for the provenance!
Thanks Mike, interesting reading :)

Tried HQPlayer 3.10 (licensed version) on my core i7 MacPro running Win7 (dual boot). Transcoded 44.1k pcm right up to DSD512 (the maximum possible with Amanero). Did not break a sweat on the PC and sounded fantastic with this DSD DAC!

Unfortunately, HQPlayer (demo version) on OSX crashes!

Anyway, really happy with the results of the live transcoding.

Apologies, in all the excitement did not pay attention to the figures! Works nicely only up to DSD256. At DSD512 there is stuttering, so even higher performance PC required.

Some improvements now with further tweaks - there are no more pop/clicks during track changes with a playlist arrangement. So only at the start or if play is interrupted/restarted but seems soft enough.

Last edited:
Joined 2007
Paid Member
@acko:

Apologies, in all the excitement did not pay attention to the figures! Works nicely only up to DSD256. At DSD512 there is stuttering, so even higher performance PC required.

Hmmm ... Can I ask you which HD you use (SSD?) & also the amount of RAM? And since you run Windows on a MAC - would this be as efficient as running windows on a Win PC? I have no experience with this part ....

Cheers,

Jesper

@acko:

Hmmm ... Can I ask you which HD you use (SSD?) & also the amount of RAM? And since you run Windows on a MAC - would this be as efficient as running windows on a Win PC? I have no experience with this part ....

Cheers,

Jesper

Sorry, I am not making any recommendations on PC hardware explicitly. All for quick evaluations using my work PC that happened to be a MAC with dual boot Win7 spinning hardrive . MAC mainly for iOS development, Win7 for everything else. Actually wanted to buy HQPlayer for MAC but will not run so ended up getting Windows version. Has anyone else tried HQPlayer for MAC?

There was one instance when the whole PC just froze with HQPlayer during startup and had to pull the plug to recover! Never had to do this before so getting little risky:eek:

so something to watch out for! Looks like I may need to get a separate machine just for this type of testing :$:again!

When is it available Acko? Did you try running dsd512 with one of the filters ending at -2s? Theyre lighter on the cpu.

Yes, it was with this setting but still no luck with DSD512. I am not sure if this has to do with Amanero drivers or HQPlayer. In fact HQPlayer can go even higher to DSD1024. Haven't seen any USB device support up to this this level,

The DSD DAC itself has no theoretical upper Fs limit, so anything goes!

ETA - TBA still a lot of testing to do

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.