Speakers built into wall

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

This is my first post after having visited here over the last month or so.
I am owner building a new home and will be installing multi-room audio as well as a 5.1 / 7.1 system.
My partner likes music which is good so doesn't mind me spending some money on such things but she would like the system to be seen but not heard.
I am wondering if any of you know where I can find some DIY designs that would be suitable for building behind a false wall?
Most reviews I read say that the speakers work best up to 1m into the room but I would like them installed behind a wall with only a cloth grill revealing that a speaker is behind it.
I would like possibly a bi-amped config with tight bass and open mid/highs.
Budget I would say is around $500-$1000 Australian ($400-$800 US) per front tower speaker.
I would also like a matching 2 way design that would be suitable for installing in bulk heads (soffits).
I want system geared about 70% for music, and 30% for home theatre.
Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Craig.

Assuming you mean heard and not seen, there are a number of ways of doing this. Fullrange units can be mounted into wall cavities if the wall is solid enough. If it's a single, flat wall, you need to make sure the directional characteristics are suitable. In other words, do the drivers give a good stereo image if firing straight ahead. Some require significant toe in, in which case you will need to build a small sub-baffle out from the wall and have the bulk of the 'cabinet' hidden within the wall.

Another option is to use the wall for the bass units and use much smaller sats for lower-mid up.

Finally, you could fit the drivers into a wal between rooms and allow the room behind to act as the cabinet, close to a proper infinite baffle. You'll find more about that here

Craig:

I completed the building of my home about 2 years ago. Since there was no basement, and I wanted a HT, the only place to put it was in the family room. There was no way I could clutter up the family room with speakers, subs, etc.

Here is what I used.

5 Jordan JX92s drivers in a simple 1 cubic foot box (if I remember correctly). The center, left and right channels were rececced in the walls between the studs and sheet rocked over, with a hole in the driver. I purchased some plastic grills at parts express and just covered the drivers. Did the same in the ceiling for the rears. The speakers are virtually invisable, and sound amazing. Using a 5-channel gainclone amp and a McIntosh MAC-3 processor that I picked up on Audiogon for a song.

I was lucky with the sub. the family room happended to have a stair well going up to the 2nd floor. I was able to recess that under the stairs, flush with the wall. I used a 15" sub from Adire audio.

All told, the system sound Awesome.

The Jordans are now expensive, around $200/each.

You could also do the same thing with the Creative Sounds FR125s

Also check the DC Audio Gold drivers (formally Babb).

good luck

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.