Fostex reccomended bass reflex/horn

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Scottmoose said:
I believe Dave built a pair. Decent, but wooly in the LF. Better designs are available methinks, like the Frugal horn, Ron's design (dare I say mine as well, though I freely admit the BVR is a reflex box, and should be treated as such, even if it does sound like a horn)

Actually, it was his symbiot cabinet maker (you don't really want to see Dave's cabinetmaking skills :smash: ) - and they were sonically very disappointing compared to either the FH or even the Buschorn MKI.

For approximately the same physical real estate, and a much simpler build, the little monopole MLTL for FE127 is a much more musical performer (albeit at the expense of reduced sensitivity) .

Scott, you may certainly say so: hopefully circumstances during the next few months will allow us to build a few of our own canajun BAVRs (big a$$ vented reflex) :faint:

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Scottmoose said:
I believe Dave built a pair. Decent, but wooly in the LF. Better designs are available methinks, like the Frugal horn, Ron's design (dare I say mine as well, though I freely admit the BVR is a reflex box, and should be treated as such, even if it does sound like a horn)

I built one and as my first build i though it sounded pretty darned good. plus i liked the build challange. hearing what you said, can't wait to try one of the Frugal horns. I may go for one of it's offspring though, since i alredy have a set of broken in 126e's. Harvey or Mikasa?

I built a pair of FE127 monitors based on the recommended design which, from what I've been told, are quite similar in sound to the FE126 design...

I was quite pleased with the results overall... they aren't the flattest speakers in the world but they have a lively, musical quality and acceptable bass. Plus they image like real champs. Without dampening they can be a little sharp and shouty on the high end, but after adding some batting they gained quite a bit more detail and refinement. I can't think of too many speakers I've heard that are so much fun to listen to... They can always get me dancing... Though that might just be builder's pride talking. :)

Anyway, there are probably better designs out there, but for near-field monitors that are simple to build, I'm pretty happy with them.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.