The Fostex FE126

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well gee, Bob, if you've got the room for a BLH there's the Buschorn MKI, Frugel-Horn, and Ron Clarke Austin 126. Fully dimensioned drawings for all of these public domain designs are on Dave Dlugos' site.

I've built them all (several copies of some), and my personal favorite is the Austin - use rear deflectors with any for reduced reflections off the back wall into the horn mouth.

There is currently a discussion on another thread regarding the discrepancy between published and DIY measured T/S parameters for the FE126/127, which has the potential to devolve into a flame war or pis-sing contest.

In the time it takes to reach consensus there (i.e never?), you could probably build a pair of any of the above and reach your own conclusions as to the subject's real world relevance.

For example, I blasted together 2 pairs of the BH MkI in one long day in the shop. OK I cheated and used an air-powered brad nailer, and had the rebated driver cut-outs machined on CNC router, but all the other cutting was done by hand on a table saw. One pair is nicely finished and has resided in my wife's upstairs system for over 6 months- the other is sitting on my bench awaiting final veneering and driver tweakage by Dave.

Tom Z's PAWO works particularly well with the 127, but while I haven't tried the combination, might be a bit thin on bottom with the 126

you can try OB first

I have my 126e's in OB and they sound sweet,they even have enough bass for Rhapsody in Blue in my small listening space.
SuperHelix004.jpg
[/IMG]

Smokehouse Bob said:
Somewhere in Euclid, a very nice restaurant is missing not 1 but 2 of their nicest dining tables! Those look (and I'm sure sound) great!

LOL...thank's for the complements

These speakers sound surprisingly good especially with jazz and small scale classical.OB bass is not the weightiest but it is so natural and is in perfect phase which makes other types of bass loading sound funny.Since my speakers are close to the side walls I get extra bass as the side walls act like huge wings.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.