two pairs or jordans for me and my dad?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
ok, so here's the scheme; i'm home for a few months and am thinking of fullfilling a desire i've had for awhile: building my first pair of speaker cabinets

so.....my father's got me looking for speakers for him as well, and this is what i'm thinking:

-mark audio has 2pairs of jx92s's for $750shipped with a pair of binding posts thrown in, then i'm thinking of keeping material costs low on the cabinet itself (not sure what that will all cost, but i'm hoping conservatively $100 total in materials for both sets), and building two sets of bookshelves

my father's setup:
small room, needs bookshelves for space reasons, has standard sony cdp, reciever type setup, he has a small sub

me:
nearfield setup on either side of computer monitor, no sub, source will most likely be emu0404 pci card, and amp most likely a t-amp type implimentation such as diyparadise charlize

at any cost, i'm curious about any thoughts y'all might have, where to buy materials, what to build (i'm thinking standard sealed 8liter box on jordan's site

well, what do ya think?????

implemenation must be simple as i've limited access to power tools, and i'm a raw beginner; i have however been dreaming and researching this for awhile, and of course i'm addicted to music; it would also be nice (though not mandatory i suppose) if i were to build two sets of identical cabinets, keeping things simple

i figure he'd use that free set of binding posts and i would simple solder cable directly to the drivers through a hole in the back, just as i was planning to do anyway; but i can always get another set

right now i'm using home depot outdoor extension cable (orange and white) as speaker wire (cuz i'm very silly), but someone mentioned if i used this inside a cabinet it would have adverse affects as it is very thick

Jordan Mini-monitor Design

A few years ago I built a 7 liter (0.25 cu. ft.) mini-monitor with the Jordan JX92S. This design includes a little baffle step compensation to balance the sound across the band. My design won first place in the 2001 Atlanta DIY Speaker event vs. a couple of dozen other designs. If you are interested in that design, shoot me an e-mail.

I have moved on to a Jordan with a ribbon (Aurum Cantus G2si) project in the same size box and more recently the same drivers in a mass loaded transmission line tower (7.5"W x 6.5"D x 46"H). Both the Jordan with a ribbon projects are exceptional in their sound quality.

Several people have built my Jordan projects with great success.

Bottom line: I love the Jordan JX92S.

Jim

Hi! Jim

After almost 1.5 year of delay ... I'm about to start building the JX92 + G2 mini monitor based on your design. I currently using your single driver Jordan design with the BSC.

A quick question on the crossover for the 2-way. Is the G2si wired in-phase as shown in xover diagram in your design pak or out of phase? This bit always gets me confused!

Hi Uzziah

Your idea sounds good - either Jim's 7 litre or Ted's 8 litre reflex will be an easy box to make and can be tuned with a little frequency compensation circuit (there's one for the 8 litre on the Jordan website).

The t-amp works ok with the JX92 but they can make each other sound hard in the treble. I prefer the t-amp with the JXR6 which has a much smoother treble when listening on-axis. Jim's ribbon arrangement with the JX92 would get round this though and give you much better bass than the JXR6. (If the power isn't enough I guess you could biamp and use a t-amp for each speake, one channel for the JX92 and the other for the ribbon).

Definitely keep it simple for the boxes if this is the first project and don't be tempted to go for fancy, non-parallel sides. The boxes are small enough that you may be able to get off-cuts of high quality 18mm ply and a good price and this material would be ideal.

Regarding connector, I use my JXR6's wired direct to the cable, so no connectors on the back of the box. This would work well for your computer set up. Pick a decent, flexible cable and make sure it's fixed well in the cabinet and the hole is sealed where it emerges.

I have my pair of JX92S in GM 48" MLTL and I can say these are the speakers that I really enjoy and can listen to forever. I have many other DIY stuff at my home (Seas 6,5" coax in transflex enclosure, FR125S in 4l aperiodic and 8l vented, 2way audes111, tangband w3-315sc in 2l sealed/vented, ...) and none of the others give me what the Jordans do. Last night I again compared the FR125S's to these and they really are so much worse detailwise.

I've tried some simple BSC networks (coil and resistor), but I always end up removing them. For me the plain JX92S is the best way.

Sounds like a good plan. I really enjoyed listening to the Jordans in the VTL enclosures.

The two MLTL plans on the Jordan website (under "DIY") are very small footprint.

One thing to keep in mind, those cones are very fragile, so think about a grille. Computer fan grilles come in the right size and don't look half-bad IMO:
fan_grill.jpg

Jim Griffin said:
Binatang,

The correct polariity for the G2si tweeter is in phase.

If you have room, I also like the Jordan and G2si in the 48" MLTL configuration. A little more bass within the same foot print as the mini-monitor goes a long way.

Jim

Thanks Jim!

I keen on the 48"MLTL but I'll give the mini monitor a try 1st as I've already made the cabinets for the mini-monitors ... 1.5 years ago. Timeliness my name is not

Errr .... More bass! I have hard time imagining that :D
I'm using my current jordans + supertweet in a HT/music combo & I've stopped using my sub for movies since I switched to it!

Size of Jordan Mini-monitor Enclosure

I would build a vented design for yourself and a sealed one (4-5 litres) (for better sub integration) for your dad.

For the JX92S I would recommend that both boxes be the same size--7 liters. For that size box you can use it sealed and have an F3 that simulates into the mid 80 Hz area with a Qtc of 0.67. Or for a 7 liter vented box you can achieve an F3 of 60 Hz.

With my mini-monitor design the near field measurements of F3 were a little better than box simulations--51 Hz for the vented case and 70 Hz when the port tube was stuffed to equate to a sealed box.

Thus if both boxes were 7 liters, then you would have the ability to squeeze the optimal performance from this driver for this size box. It is ideal for this driver and is a reasonable size enclosure.

Jim

jordan monitors

I dropped a pair of the JX92s into the 0.25 cu ft cabs from partsexpress:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=302-702

I used the LR network recommended by Jordan's website. The only tools needed are a router with a circle guide (which you will need for any speaker project) a soldering iron and a screwdriver. You can do the whole thing in just a few hours max. A few minutes if you're quick.

I use them with the Super-T amp and the results are outstanding.

Sharing some pics of my recently completed JX92S/G2Si mini monitor. Still running in but sounds pretty darn good already.
Used Solen inductors, ClarityCaps & Mundorf parts

Was previously using the JX92 with Emminent Supertweets. Compared to the G2Si the supertweets seem to give a better sense of depth to the soudnstage but it can't beat the the G2Si's better overall range and transparency in the highs. I might want to integrate the supertweet but I'll wait till the combo if fully run-in before i decide.

Attachments

• jordan_ac.jpg
    jordan_ac.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 180
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.