Negative opinions on Voigt pipes...what's your take on this?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey all...

For a summer project, once I get my main system done, I'm thinking about building a pair of speakers to go with the NAD 3020 integrated amp/dbx EQ/DVD player setup that's hooked up to my TV currently. I'm thinking a pair of Voigt pipes for Fostex FE127E's - running a BSC as I can afford the efficiency loss. However, I've heard that Voigt pipes are an undesirable design, but yet I hear others that love them...what's your opinion on this?

I've decided on either these TQWT's or a set of backloaded horns. But the pipes are significantly easier to make :)

Thanks in advance.

FE127 bipole TQWP

Hello:
I built a nice set of pipes for this driver. Not sure what other people think I actually really do not care too much? I really like them and others that have heard them feel they are great. This driver has many very good things about it and I recommend it. Any of the designs on Planet10 web page boxplan page are very good. I have heard most of the designs and all sound very good.
The big question you have to resolve is what are expecting to use the speakers for?
If it is normal listening to detailed fine music you will love them. If it is gut wrenching party music you may want to try something else.
Good luck

Attachments

• fe127e twqp front side (medium).jpg
    fe127e twqp front side (medium).jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 686
http://www.zillaspeak.com/fostex127eStraightPipe.asp

Mine sounds nice. Sub helps out in the bass of course... i am going to build a more simple ported box for the 127e soon and drop my 168S into these pipes... just a simple switcheroo... but the pipes sound great with the 127e. I feel the pipes i built are too large for the ity bity 127e.

SCD, your designs look more size appropriate. Great work!

Peace,
Godzilla

One neat thing about these pipes is how forgiving they are of the drivers used with them. I have had TB Bamboo, Radio Shack 1354, Fostex 127e in them and they all sounded really good. The cabinet allows you to hear each drivers sound quality without mucking up the bass... bass is always smooth and bouncy.

These cabinets have become a sort of test bed for different drivers.

Make a removable front baffle like i did so you can experiment too.

Godzilla

Reactions: 1 user
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.