Silver Iris OB Project...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I will be buying a pair of the new Silver Iris' in the next couple of weeks (if not sooner) and was wanting some ideas on baffle sizes. I know the larger you make them, the lower the bass response you get, and that baffles with wings can create some resonances in the rear. I also know that if you mount the driver closer to the floor on the baffle, you also increase bass response.

However I have a somewhat smallish room of 13 x 17 x 8 and would like a baffle that is kind of narrow, so wings WILL be in the design. The drivers will be mounted with the VC centered around 30" off the floor at my ear level. I have read that to help with resonances, make both wings different lengths, and have them "mirror imaged" for the second channel. I would like to get bass down to around 35Hz if I can. Also, these would be places pretty close to the side walls (within only a few inches) and about 2-3' from the rear wall. My listening position is about 9' in front of the speaker locations. Oh, and I'll be powering them with an unmodified Sonic Impact amp.

So, does anybody have some ideas on what size baffles I could build and still get the "disappearing act" and bass response down around 35Hz, if not a little lower?

Thanks in advance for your help!

I was also thinking of another plan for these drivers...

If crossed over at 80Hz and on a smaller (narrower) single panel OB, would they be good for full-out home theater use?

I think that they might because they have the efficiency, power handling and cone area for good response down to 40Hz. Since they would be crossover over at 80Hz, the baffles could physically be much smaller, the drivers wouldn't have to work as hard, and would be fed by my 110W x 7 Pioneer Elite receiver to get the volume I would need for movie playback.

Also, if I can do this, I would buy a third Silver Iris for the center channel and have the baffle tilted back just a little to aim the driver up to my listening position. The VC center on this one would be around 15-17" above the floor between both subwoofer enclosures.

I honestly think they would do a great job in this configuration. Of course I would have to do a little foot work with the center channel to get it to match up perfectly with the main channels, but I figure with my receiver's MCCA circuitry, it wouldn't be too hard to timbre match everything up as far as the front stage is concerned.

So what do you all think about this idea? Do you think it's do-able?

Hi. nice idea. you may get good answers on audiocircle, possibly from John in CR, where there's a very active thread on the Hawthorns. I've just bought B200's, and am waiting to see what richard makes of comparing them to the Iris's he's just bought. John in costa rica is enjoying his iris's, though JLM found the Iris wanting, albeit on a very mediocre system. Early and exciting days in the OB field. When I have time i'll be comparing these B200's to One thing audio'd ESL57's. If they come anywhere near i'll be a happy bunny.

nullspace said:
Well, I would say that you have little chance of getting to 35hz with a narrow baffle and the driver mounted that high off the floor. If I were to make a recommendation, I would say these drivers almost cry out to be mounted in the JE Labs wide, short OB.

Regards,
John

JE Labs

I guess you didn't read my second post right below my first one.

I want to use these as the main and center channel speakers in my HT system, possibly replacing my Def Tech's (BP10B, C/L/R 2000), and they will all be crossed over at 80Hz. So in other words, I do NOT need them to reach down to 35Hz.

If I can get solid performance out of these to say 70Hz MAX in a narrow single panel OB , then I should be in good shape, especially with them crossed over at 80Hz.

All I need is a baffle large enough for 70Hz reproduction. I will probably build the baffle out of 1" MDF with a .50" sheet of birch ply on top, and some nice hardwood side and end caps. And the driver centers will probably be closer to 25" or so from the floor, with the matching center channel driver about 10" below that.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.