advice needed

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Welcome to the forum, Jimbones, but watch your spelling. Around here, it's spelled B@$*

It doesn't appear to be possible to build high quality speakers the size of those cubes. I found some drivers that seemed to be the same ones and played around with them for a while. They are actually pretty decent, little full rangers, but they need a bigger box to get their full potential.

If you're willing to build something, you might as well get a better sound. The cubes sacrifice a lot to have their tiny size. You can certainly build something small, and the TB's are a good driver to try with. A couple years ago, I was thinking along the same lines as you and built some speakers with the TB871s, then posted this:

"I built a pair of small boxes like the ones on this site:

John's Audio Projects

I took them over to my g'friend's house, unplugged the front jewel cubes from her A15 system and watched her enjoy a better sound. I actually expected to be hearing something better , as the cubes sound tinny and weak to me, what I didn't expect was how MUCH better!

I've listened to Paul Simon's "Graceland" album on many systems, this time I could count the singers in the chorus, and there are two women singing in the back I've never heard before...well, I'm hooked on DIY now...AND these 871's."

If you would be more specific about what you want, (cost, size, SPL's, power handling) and how you plan on using them (system and room) you're likely to get tons of suggestions. IMO, a better speaker than the cube can be built for 3 dollars, but not that small.

For near-field and small room systems you can get away with a single W3-871S and yes, they will work very well. If you're trying to get high SPL in a medium to large room a single W3-871S will not cut it. I've used the W3-871S in a two-way HT system crossed at about 2000Hz and it will handle everything you throw at it but with an FS of 110Hz it's going to have a lot of trouble below 200Hz. The obvious solution is a larger driver with lower Fs. Another solution is to use more than one driver or go with a two-way system. Like x.onasis said, more specific requirements yield more specific answers. :)

BTW, welcome to our "little" forum. :cool:

Thanks for the response

Thanks. Since this HT set up is not my main system (I have other very large and expensive equipment for that) I was looking to build a sattelite spkr with a xover at 150hz 12db/oct. I was guessing two TB's per side might work ok with a Denon Pro Logic reciever. :)

At that high of XO point the John Krutke sealed box with notch filter will work very well. In North America the distributors for the W3-871S are Creative Sound Solutions (recommended) and Acoustic Technologies. For your application this is your best option. Another possibility is the W3-881S from Parts Express with the MAD tweaks.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.