FR (?) based home cinema system - thoughts and planning

Joined 2008
Paid Member
I have started a middle term project of moving the kids into their own bedrooms and that includes some room repurposing. In the attachment there is a crude drawing of what is now my bedroom (length of the room is 360 cm, ceiling height ca 265 cm) . I plan to turn it into my work/relax room with a beamer and miniature home cinema audio system.

I used to have a similar sized living room in my previous apartment with a cheap all-in-one 5.1 DVD system with small fullrange speakers and it worked quite well for what it was.

The current furniture layout provides some interesting options but also challenges.

1 and 2 are ceiling high wardrobes, 60 cm deep. 3 is an ~80 cm high chest of drawers, around 35 cm deep. 3 is a wardrobe of the same depth and with ca 50 - 60 cm free space to the ceiling. B is the position of the beamer. I borrowed one which creates a really nice picture between the two side wardrobes. The two person couch would be placed below the beamer.

Mains and center would be placed on the chest of drawers, so they need to be slim not to take too much area away from the picture. The size of the room does not allow/need large loudspeakers with horns that I like. So my idea is as follows.

Mains and center would be 3FE22 based backloaded horns. The mains will need to be upside down so that the drivers are at ear level. Rear wall will provide some loading. The center would need its driver to be in the center of the slim box. Ideally in with a split horn path for symmetry. The rear speakers would be placed at the back wall, most probably upfiring or reflecting from the back wall in Sonab/Carlsson style. One subwoofer can be placed on 4 and can be quite large. Other options are a long TH/TL in a corner and a very slim but long TH/TL could be inserted into the gap between 4 and the wall (would require multiple small drivers to fit).

The building process will use 3D printing and CNC where necessary, in the end it should look at least good if not great.

The electronics will be based either on a commercial receiver or RPi 4 with CamillaDSP, that is not decided yet. CamillaDSP would have the advantage of 8 channels of DSP processing (EQ, delays). Maybe delays could be used to make the rear channels virtually further?

This is a long term project since the rooms are not moved yet, so this will be a kind of blog thread. Any input/ideas are welcome to be discussed here:)

Attachments

• HomeCinemaLayout.jpg
    HomeCinemaLayout.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 138
For a small HT room, my go-to is the TABAQ. They barely take up any space, they can be placed on the wall, on the floor, or hung upside down on the wall. The center can be placed on its side. That design works well with the Faital, as evidenced in the thread.

Sealed or ported behind would be fine.

One observation. A big sub in one corner of that small room will very much bring nodes for “one note” bass. Try to find smaller but multiple subs you could spread around and not overpressure the small room.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Yes, I plan to place more subs than one. The top of the wardrobe is one of the places where one could fit - and have some corner loading as well. The sofa/couch will double as a guest bed (will be an unfolding design), so I cannot place one below it, but there is some space on both sides where the sub could double as a coffe table (with no coffe on it while watching movies of course:) ).

I saw the TABAQ mentioned a few times and it seems to be a solid design, I considered using it as is or a base since I will most probably need some folding to bring the driver to ear height.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
And that is also true if one wants to cut them on a CNC:) I made a drawing of the folded 3FE22 TABAQ with grooves in the side panels for the internal panels modifying the dimensions slightly for 18 mm MDF. So this version will be cut and glued together in October. Two for the fronts and maybe I will play around a bit with the folding for a center channnel to get the driver into the middle (if that is even possible - should be at a cost of some dead volume). The rear speakers will most probably take a form of flat on-wall speakers at the side walls to the couch.