Fostex 207e BIB with tweater???

Wow! Been a long time lurker here. I Built my first ever speaker boxes while lurking this website in 2006 when I was in my 3rd year of college and had my own place for the first time. At the time I built a folded voigt pipe with the 207e. Which it seems is called a BIB. They were 8 feet tall, then over the years I moved and had to cut them down to 7' and eventually had to no room for speakers that large. :( Fostex 207e's have been sitting in a box for 8 years :(

I now have a house, some time, and most important motivation. I have been searching this site and have come to the conclusion that a one of the best cabs I can build is a BIB or basically what I built over 15 years ago. As I read and continue to read threads about these great drivers and boxes I am quickly remined and remember the limitations. So I would like to add a tweeter this time around. How does this sound?(pun intended)

I planned on using this BIB calculator

BIB Calculator | Speaker Projects by Zilla

I will try to add a simple tweeter using this method recommend my fostex. Only issue is I don't want to spend $500 on a pair of fostex tweeters. In fact I don't want to spend much on a pair of tweeters. So tweeter recommendations would be great. I was looking around parts express.

http://www.madisound.com/pdf/fostexcabs/fe207e_enclrev2.pdf

I remember missing highs and lows with the old boxes, but everything these drivers/boxes did produce was great. I tried paring my old boxes with different woofers over the years and found it very hard to pair/tune any woofer with them. I hope to try again with a woofer cube (one driver and 2 or 3 passive radiators) Just something I have wanted to experiment with and I have a 10" woofer laying around.

Please let me know if there are any other options or ideas for boxes. This would be a winter project for me I think.

ps. my friend just gave me his FE167e drivers. Not sure what to do with them just yet. Maybe make a center channel speaker? Rear surrounds?

Thank you

-Matt

Attachments

• sp2.JPG
    sp2.JPG
    163.3 KB · Views: 201
  • DSCN0027.JPG
    DSCN0027.JPG
    188 KB · Views: 205
  • sp4.JPG
    sp4.JPG
    173.5 KB · Views: 203
Hi!

A Voigt pipe is similar to a BIB, but they differ in their size/volume. The BIB will likely have better, more and lower bass/lows, so that would definitely solve that problem. This might make the lack of treble/highs more noticeable. I would advice to build the enclosures first and try them out with just the fe207e's. You can always add a tweeter later. And it doesn't have to be the recommended Fostex option (but other people know much more about tweeters and integrating them. A German magazine develops different versions of a design over time, with different driver and crossover options. One of their successful budget designs featured a fullrange driver with a piezo horntweeter, so there is potential for cheaper options as well.

The fe167e drivers seem to have more treble. They are also smaller, so they beam less. You might not need a tweeter with those.

GM

Joined 2003
Hmm, first you say FE207E BIBs [I remember the cool paint job :up:] and imply only the HF is a problem and now unacceptable FE167E BIBs, so a bit confused.

Regardless, in both cases they ideally need EQ to 'fill up' these large, low tuned cabs since their motors are so strong [low Qts] for either true horn loading or making small, high power efficiency sealed/reflex alignments and the easiest/cheapest way to do it to at least hear what's possible, i.e. tonally balanced over a wide BW beginning down low is to get a couple of cheap 25-50 ohm/10-25 W pots and put them in series with the speakers and dial in each speaker individually till it pleases at the listening position in mono [basically weakening the motors/higher Qts], then flip to stereo and if the room knocks it off center, then use the balance control to see if it solves the problem and if not, then need to either treat the room or go through the tedious effort of finding exceptable individual speaker solutions.

Better yet now that pro level DSP systems [dbx, etc.] are relatively inexpensive just dial them in altogether as a single system.