Moving on from CHP-70.2

I've been enjoying a pair of CHP-70.2 in Scotts 306x176x226 compact vented cabs. They sit pretty much on axis on my desk and, as advertised, are really nice for extended listening. However the 7k drop in high frequency has been bothering me for a while and so I think its time for a change of driver from further up the MarkAudio food chain.

The Pluvia 7.2 HD looks nice and has much higher frequency extension. I bodged a vented box sim of 14.3l and 50Hz. This gives a F6 of 40Hz.

Can't seem to find much on the Pluvia 7.2HD. Are there any boxes from the Dave/Scott/Scottmoose universe I've missed?

Some of the boxes I've done are on the MA site; a couple missing. Attached.

Attachments

• Pensil-P7HD.PNG
    Pensil-P7HD.PNG
    122.1 KB · Views: 256
  • Twin driver high output Standmount Pluvia 7HD.PNG
    Twin driver high output Standmount Pluvia 7HD.PNG
    55.1 KB · Views: 117
  • Pluvia7HD sealed standmount.PNG
    Pluvia7HD sealed standmount.PNG
    46.3 KB · Views: 108
  • Pluvia7HD compact sealed standmount.PNG
    Pluvia7HD compact sealed standmount.PNG
    45 KB · Views: 124
  • Pluvia 7HD vented box -metric.PNG
    Pluvia 7HD vented box -metric.PNG
    47 KB · Views: 270
  • Pluvia 7HD vented box -Imperial.PNG
    Pluvia 7HD vented box -Imperial.PNG
    47.6 KB · Views: 250
  • Pluvia 7HD ML-Voigt.PNG
    Pluvia 7HD ML-Voigt.PNG
    49.3 KB · Views: 254
  • Pluvia 7HD -Compact series multichamber.png
    Pluvia 7HD -Compact series multichamber.png
    42.6 KB · Views: 259
Ooh I like the size of the compact vented. Many thanks!

How has the pluvia 7.2HD been received. I’m struggling to find many specific threads. It seems the alpair are still the darlings of the FR world. MA call the pluvia the successor of the alpairs. Are they that good?

Just to add to the above, physically speaking, the Alpair 7MS is a completely different drive unit to the old 7.3 since it's based around a new negative camber cone profile and single (spiderless) suspension. Both of those required everything else changing -new basket, new motor design (coil, magnet & general motor structure), new cap, the works. The Pluvia 7HD however is basically the old Alpair 7.3 with a few minor adjustments to coil, cap &c., and a new basket, which to be honest is rather more convenient to work with.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Thanks for the above guys

Will the Pluvia be a step up on the detail the driver delivers, or DDR as Dave calls it, compared to the CHP-70.2?

Yes.

You will see a number of members have swapped out EL70 for P7HD in microTower (one now driven with one of the few VFETs, and the speakers good enuff for him to percieve the specialness of the amplifier.

The other possibility is to retrofit the CHP-70.2 with a tweeter. DaveR did an XO for that — actually for CHBW, but the CHP-70.2 will work the same.. Probably no loss of the magic of the CHP but add top.

attachment.php

attachment.php

(Note: one pair of CHP-7-.2eN, a pair of ERT-26eN, and a pair of ERT-26 are in my clearance pile).

dave

Attachments

• CHP-v-CHBW-V-ERT26.gif
    CHP-v-CHBW-V-ERT26.gif
    88.9 KB · Views: 267
  • DaveR-CHBW-ERT26-seriesXO.gif
    DaveR-CHBW-ERT26-seriesXO.gif
    14.8 KB · Views: 275