New shape of O.B. speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, I like to find a new shape, maybe an oval, for my new set-up. For bass there will be an old 15" Audax PR38 S-100 in 8 ohm. On top of that a 14" Klangfilm KL L-405 full range with a little help of another Klangfilm 4" tweeter.

The woofer will be driven by a SonyTA-N55ES and the full range and tweeter by my trusty Sony TA-1120. The woofer will sing at 100Hz and below.

I have seen some ideas in an oval shape and I like the look. I do have som solid oak in 1" thickness that could work. Do you have any suggestions on my plans.

Attachments

• Skärmavbild 2021-01-25 kl. 14.07.42.png
    Skärmavbild 2021-01-25 kl. 14.07.42.png
    808.3 KB · Views: 470
  • Audax 15 a.jpg
    Audax 15 a.jpg
    292.2 KB · Views: 459
  • siemens-ruf-lsp-t14-klangfilm-kl405_1_6a01756a33dcfe10482fde26a48ad03a (kopia).jpg
    siemens-ruf-lsp-t14-klangfilm-kl405_1_6a01756a33dcfe10482fde26a48ad03a (kopia).jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 466
  • KL L-405 SPL.jpg
    KL L-405 SPL.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 450
I'm afraid that Audax woofer is not very suitable for an OB, its Qts is much too low for that and it will struggle to produce any decent bass.

Maybe enter its parameters in Basta!, select baffle, enable room gain, then go to Baffle designer, enable box/baffle in free space, and see what the output will look like.
I think you'll be quite disappointed by the result.
My estimate is, with a LP at 100Hz, it will reach about 55 - 60 Hz with a great loss of efficiency,

OTH it might be a good choice for a vented enclosure, but I'm not an expert on vented speakers, so can not say more about that.

Good luck.
Stan

Nelson Pass, I got plenty of deep and tight bass from these old Audax. A couple of years ago I used them in som big horns but those took up way to much space in the room so that is wye I try to find a better and more discrete set-up. By the way these Audax are reinforced with kevlar to make them extra stiff and the cone movement is very little but powerful.

Attachments

• Bashorn a.jpg
    Bashorn a.jpg
    230.5 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
That woofer with a QTS of .17 is a little low for an open baffle but I was curious how much a resistor would raise the QTS. I just ran some figures using that driver with a series resistor to raise the QTS. It looks like running it with a 50 ohm series resistor will raise the QTS to 1.19 but that sure wouldn't be practical. But a current source amp might be an option .

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.