WAW - Alpair 10P or 5.3?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I’m looking to build a WAW but can’t make up my mind which driver to use...

I have both the Alpair 10P and 5.3 wide range drivers and I really like both.

The plan is to build a floor standing WAW, with a Peerless HDS 830869 8” Nomex woofer or Dayton RS225-8 for mid bass (I have a pair of each), with Rythmik 12” Servo subs below that. An alternative would be to use twin 5” or twin 4” Peerless HDS Nomex woofers with the wide range in a D’Appolito configuration.

Speakers will be fully active, and MiniDSP for XO/EQ.

Ideally I’d like something that can sound delicate and intimate at low levels, and yet can still sound good at decent (but not stupid) levels.

I’d like to spend a bit of time and do a good job of the enclosures, but short of making a replaceable baffle for the wide range driver so I can use either, I can’t decide which one to use.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Cheers,

Matt.

I’d be inclined towards the A5.2 for this particular application. Numerous designs exist for combinations of drivers that’d fit this niche. Having built a few in this category, I’m quite partial to narrow enclosures with dual side firing mid-bass drivers, crossed over in the range of anywhere between 250 - 400Hz. The only minor caveats with side firing mid-bass or woofers are the requirements for clearance to side walls - I found at least 18” to be a good starting point - and at least a few degrees of toe-in with intersection of on axis from the mid/tweet slightly in front of sweet spot.
Of course, the room size / shape needs to be taken into the calculus.

Last edited:
The 5.3 is better suited for this, smaller driver so the top end will be better, and as you cut the bass to a woofer, they low response (the weak point of that driver) is not important.

The 10P will work (i use a 10.3 in a waw because i had them in stock) and probally also sound very good, but less suited.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.