Vintage Triangle T17FL2

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Vintage Triangle T17FL2

It is a 7" bicone full-range speakers from mid-late 80s (I think I bought them in 1988-89) made in France by Triangle. They were considered premium speakers at that time, and it was difficult to find/afford anything else in that field for me, as I was a student...:eek:

xcAhKb-T17FL2-TS.jpg

g6JxKb-reponse-T17FL2-axe.jpg

HBJxKb-reponse-T17FL2-30deg.jpg

It has been used in TQWT and in Bass-Reflex - this is the way I installed mine, because of a lack of space for TQWT... It's a low tuning, over-damped, fully stuffed one :

Vb=32L
Sv=50.3cm2
LV=32cm
Fb=38Hz
n=3.2
F3=70Hz, F6=55Hz, F10=40Hz

PuffKb-T17FL2-MONITOR-new-version-2020.jpg

wZSjKb-RE-STUFFING.jpg

The T17FL2 was known to have a "coquetterie" in the 1KHz-10Khz area, that is to say an increase of level of 4-5dB, making him very present (see axis response curve above)... It's very charming at first, but becoming tiring in the long run : that's why I didn't used them too much.

Nearly 30 years after - never too late :clock: - I decided to correct that issue by experimenting the principle of a Baffle Step Compensation crossover... Not trivial for a full-range speaker ! :confused:

OK - so suddenly, I discovered hot water... :eek: :D

I made many listening on different musical programs, at different loudness :

OYJxKb-BSC-and-MRC.jpg

And finally came to this compensation circuit :

CF1yKb-P1100877.jpg

Where the coil and the resistor readjusts the level of the 1-10KHz range, and the capacitor enhances the upper treble over 10KHz.

Later on, I slightly increased the cap value and played the Audiophile Mojo by adding a silver mica capacitor :rolleyes:

pzC0Kb-The-BLACK-BOXES.jpg

Those Black Boxes do their job very well : now the extra-presence is tamed and balanced with the rest of the audio spectrum, and upper treble range is here and fine.

You would have told me this 30 years ago, I would have been instictively very dubious, finding this truly irrational ! :p

But it's me, OK ? :D

A+!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.