Need Full Range Surrounds in a 0.6 cuft box or less.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm very partial to the Tang-band four-inch FR, the one with the wicked phase-plug, W4-1879. An f3 of 52 hertz, BR alignment, at 0.34 cubic feet. Myself, I would load the specs on a SIM & see if one could lower the f3, pushing to your 0.6 cubic foot size restraint....this driver is a bit of a power hog at 87 Db, don't be afraid to feed it some real power & it should sound fine.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------Rick.......

Directional, as in minimal off axis response. I suppose any fullrange would be that way, especially as they are famously used for their pointsource capability.

Ah, the beaming issue. Affects all drivers, even tweeters.

Since we are looking at 3 or 4" drivers, the beaming versus frequency range width is the best ratio.

You can go lower FR with bigger drivers, but you will get beaming a lot sooner.
You can go higher with smaller 2" drivers, but you quickly lose low end.

3" and 4" drivers are in the sweet spot.

Vague questions deserve vague answers. I've had good luck with the GRS 4FR-8 from parts express. It is a copy of the Pioneer 4" FR that was popular many years ago and NLA. I put them in aperiodic boxes of about 1/4 FT^3 and works well with a subwoofer. The current enclosures are made of 3/4" isolation foam with front and back baffle from 1/4" Hardboard. May break your budget if you don't have the subwoofer. If so, an MLTL with the same driver can be built that plays down to, I'm guessing 60-70Hz.

Last edited:
I have to replace some Volt 10's, which are somewhat big. Turns out, to duplicate my mounting holes and speaker wire exit, I need something of larger size. I decided on a full range 8" from Goldwood, the BOFU like speaker. This way I can build a .71 cuft box. They are cheap at $13. I did enjoy the posts from you folks, and learned more about small drivers than I knew before. Thank you.

GRS 8FR-8 8" Full-Range Speaker Pioneer Type B20FU20-51FW

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.