Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Small Record Console Build
Small Record Console Build
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th October 2020, 05:26 AM   #1
spiggs is offline spiggs  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Small Record Console Build

Looking for advice for a small record console project. This is for use by my daughter in a small apartment. I want it to all be self contained, speaker, amp, turntable, and record storage. Attached is a sketch of what I am thinking. Size about 24" wide, 20" depth. So record player under top, speaker is the middle section, record storage below. I plan to fit all electronics in the same area with speaker, I think a little chip amp will do. Looking for inexpensive speaker options.

I think for speaker I could go 2 ways, either 2 full range drivers in stereo or run mono into the amp and a pllxo to split the channels into hi pass and low pass for a mono bi-amp WAW arrangement. Basically a center fullrange flanked by two woofers. The latter appeals to me since I think it could deliver better bass and spl but I have no idea what box volume/port to setup.

Thinking of drivers in the 2-4" range and under $20 each. A little flexible around the size since height is not set. Appreciate any suggestions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg record_cabinet.jpg (53.2 KB, 306 views)
Old 15th October 2020, 06:20 AM   #2
picowallspeaker is offline picowallspeaker  Italy
diyAudio Member

Bass & turntable in the vicinity, they do not do well together. Either 'mono' is an insult to the dual track available in the disc. For me, a very bad idea from every perspective.
Old 15th October 2020, 06:28 AM   #3
tmuikku is offline tmuikku  Finland
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to tmuikku
It's gonna be cool piece of furniture, not available anywhere else, purpose made Yes, some compromises with sound quality but that is not the goal.

Mono is fine, been listening to mono for long time now. You could make a "break out" speaker for stereo, if you wish. A line out would enable external amps and speakers to future proof it.

I guess the bass driver must be pretty small to fit, so I'm not certain it will feedback through the needle if the turntable has any kind of dampening feet which they usually do. If concerned, use two bass drivers opposing sides of the cabinet to cancel some vibrations out.

Tymphany TC9 is fine 3" driver for cheap and seems to have discounts in Parts express currently. Many others will work as well.

Have fun!

Last edited by tmuikku; 15th October 2020 at 06:38 AM.
Old 15th October 2020, 02:31 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I guess I should clarify that I am not looking for thundering bass or anything close to that. Obviously this system has it's compromises, the goal is to create something that is simply fun to listen to. I also plan to have another line in so an external source like a cell phone can be hooked up as well, perhaps even bluetooth. I like the line out idea too.
Old 15th October 2020, 05:24 PM   #5
waxx is offline waxx  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Well it won't be very hifi, and you will have to dampen the turntable a lot to avoid rumble and skipping needles. There is a good solution for that that you can inplement in the furniture to avoid that issue as much as possible, a sand damper like described here:

The TNT SandBlaster 1.0

For drivers, the TC9 is a good sounding driver, but very low power and volume 30w at 83db efficiency is a max volume of 95dB. count some headroom and you are at 85dB real max volume. Is that enough?

A better option may be the Faital 3FE22, wich is way more efficient, and as good and takes about the same power as the TC9. And they are also relative cheap (33$ at parts express)

For woofers i would take a look at 6.5" Wavecor SW168WA01 (one driver in a 15L ported give 35Hz) or if it may be a little higher, a 6" Dayton RS150-8 (50Hz at 15L ported for one driver). Both are less than 100$/€ for a driver wich is cheap for a woofer that small that has some quality.
Old 15th October 2020, 06:21 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Let me put out one more data point. My daughter currently listens to these and is perfectly happy with the sound.

LE-43 Wireless Bookshelf Speakers Set | Urban Outfitters

They are plastic wireless speakers from Urban Outfitters, about $150 new. If this console can go as loud and sound as good or better than I will call it a success. I am also going to build it in such a way that future upgrades will be possible including running separate stereo speakers later. But for now the challenge is give her something that provides storage and she can enjoy listening to music on that takes up minimal space and has some style.
Old 15th October 2020, 06:54 PM   #7
waxx is offline waxx  Belgium
diyAudio Member

well, if you want to keep it cheap and simple and don't need so much bass, it's maybe better to use one bigger fullrange driver without woofer. An Mark Audio CHN110 is an cheap (65$ at madisound) 8" fullrange of decent quality that gives easely 40Hz in a 30L ported cabinet (3" round port of 7,7" length as example), and can get loud (104dB theorectical max at 45w). You don't need a crossover for this, even a correction filter is not really needed. So the only cost except the wood is one driver and one port. That port could also be a slot port build in the box if you don't want to buy one in plastic.

A two way of decent quality will cost you a lot more, you need the drivers and a crossover (be it dsp or passive).
Old 16th October 2020, 02:03 AM   #8
picowallspeaker is offline picowallspeaker  Italy
diyAudio Member

There are some TT that are equipped with BT nowadays...
It all looks like a horror story, but things might go like this...
Old 16th October 2020, 06:20 PM   #9
tsmith1315 is online now tsmith1315  United States
diyAudio Member

The general idea of a stand alone turntable in a console is perfectly fine if your expectations are realistic. I like your drawing, that's cool. However, the proportions I see are probably just enough to house a turntable and LP's comfortably.

Do budget TT's these days have preamp/RIAA EQ built-in?
Old 16th October 2020, 06:37 PM   #10
tmuikku is offline tmuikku  Finland
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to tmuikku
My 10 year old audiotechnica sl1200 lookalike has line out and even USB

Small Record Console BuildHide this!Advertise here!