XKi’s for my backyard movie setup

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just made a pair of XKi’s with PA130s in them. I am powering them with a Behringer iNuke1000dsp. I mounted them under the eaves of the side of my garage for some backyard sound and for movies when I bring a projector out. I watched a movie last night. Wow!!! I am so happy with these. The bottom is so beefy for the size of these!!! I’m not nearly as eloquent in my description but everything just sounds so well balanced. I did some tweaking with pink noise(though not really cuz I just used my iPhone mic) and a sine wave sweep.
Thank you so much to whoever has designed/shared plans!!

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
You are most welcome, jallen...

XKi was my design.
XKi - X's ab initio Karlson 6th Order Bandpass
500009d1440314705-xki-xs-ab-initio-karlson-6th-order-bandpass-xki-pa130-8-completed.png

Glad you liked the XKi's with PA130-8's. Thats a very under-rated driver - mostly because of its industrial(ugly) looks. But it performs way above its price range.

Did you make yours out of foamcore or wood? Any photos?

Have fun!

Made mine out of 1/2 plywood. IMG_1204.jpg
They are mounted kind of behind the fascia board but I’m hoping it doesn’t change the sound too much. It’s a little difficult to take them down for A/B testing. Any thoughts on that?

Again I thank you so much. I think it’s really cool when people like yourself offer so much help to strangers(like me)on the internet!

IMG_1219.jpg
Here’s the aperture shape I used. I don’t exactly remember where that shape came from. I actually built my first XKi a few years ago. I used it for a portable speaker as I am an itinerant music teacher. Worked great! I’d always been anxious to hear what a pair of them would sound like!

Outdoor movies - wow, that's a cool application for the XKi's. Glad to hear they work so well - a small speaker that kicks butt in very large spaces. :D
About two years ago a bunch of friends got together and we had an informal outdoor cooking competition. We ended with an outdoor movie. It was great fun even if the sound was not that great.

that's a really nice build - interesting aperture too ! - wonder if the middle part allows more output where its dimensions are relative to relative wavelength size ? -

I've only played with 3 regular apertures on an 8 inch size cabinet - FE206E is a good little K driver as operatic singers sounded fine with that tight aperture below

p9Hw4Fr.jpg

We are very fortunate here in SoCal to be able to watch movies outside for a good part of the year. During this pandemic we have been making better use of our space. Family of 5 in a small house!

I’m hoping these XKi’s will do ok outside.... but then again I’m not terribly concerned as the drivers were about $15 a piece!

I’m working on the whole setup to try to make it as easy and convenient to be able to just go outside for a movie. It’s also definitely a nice little project to keep me busy. [emoji13]

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.