Markaudio CHN-110 bookshelf vs Classix II MT Bookshelf

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello!

I am planning to build a pair of speakers as a gift to my friend for his birthday.

I have built 3 sets of speakers so far, CHR-70 3L sealed, 9L bass reflex and Fane SOVEREIGN 12-250TC 90L sealed.

I am considering smallest 18L Dr. Scott Lindgren design for the CHN-110.
F3 = 46Hz F6 = 39Hz. Paul Carmody says that Classix II has F3=34Hz.

Why am I comparing those two - price level is basically the same and the size is also similar 15L vs 18L. Both are quite easy to build.

My questions are:

1. Classix II has way more bass extension, but uses cheap drivers. Since I don't have experience with large bookshelf speakers I have no idea how different would these two speakers sound. Low and precise bass is always nice, but the mid-range magic and imaging that comes with MarkAudio full-range drivers is the main reason I got hooked in diy audio in the first place :) Could someone with more experience please describe the differences in more detail between those two designs.

2. CHN-110 is rated at 45W nominal and Classix II is rated at 60W. What would be the best bang for the buck amplifier solution? It's either TDA7498 or TPA3116 based Bluetooth amplifiers (both cost around 40 EUR), but the most powerful power supply that is cheap (max 15 EUR) is 24V 5A. Anything with higher ratings - then price jumps considerably (TDA7498 can take 36V). What I've managed to find with google, is that 24V 5A power supply gives me around 38W at 8ohm with TPA3116 based amplifiers. Are any other boards that sound great, cost about the same and give out more power with 24V 5A power supply? Or is this power supply my limit - 38W at 8 ohm and it doesn't matter what board I use?

Thank you for all the help!

Just Scott. Forget the 'Dr'. Scott's first rule of common sense states that it is inversely proportionate to the number of letters people use without need before or after their name.

Re your questions, they don't really have fixed answers, but FWIW

1/ This is largely a subjective matter; different people percieve and value different things, and they also often interpret a given word or phrase differently. This is why I try to avoid subjective commentry myself: what I hear or describe with a given phrase is not necessarily what anybody else will or does.

The 18 litre Pactolus design doesn't get as low as the larger standmounts for that unit (Pelorus & Perseus) -the driver requires more box volume for greater extension. It's a nice alignment though, quite well damped, so works well near boundaries & in a variety of situations / systems without requiring much adjustment. I don't have time to back-engineer the Classix II alignment, but from what is spliced into the FR on Paul's page from Response Modeller -well, it's not an alignment I would personally choose given the option; I don't really like peaking alignments of that sort as they can often become overpowering near boundaries, and / or have something of an 'on/off' characteristic if the tuning is relatively high Q / narrow. YMMV, this is an observational critique, not a criticism -different designers often select different approaches for different reasons.

2/ Pass. No intimate knowledge of chip amplifiers, and again this is likely to be a matter of opinion rather than anything fixed.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.