Alpair 12p for digital piano monitors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am looking to build a pair of bookshelf monitors for my digital piano. I am talking normal acoustic volume rather than rock concert levels :)

I have tried a bunch of commercial ones and they all have some clearly audible distortion in the 200-400hz region (this is totally absent through headphones). The distortion is quite prominent in the budget Focal Alpha 65, but still present, though much less so, in the eye watering expensive (1700GBP) Focal Solo6 Be. The distortion is coming from the drivers (I have taken the driver out of the Alpha 65 to check) rather than the enclosures.

I was thinking of the A12P in the bass reflex box on the Markaudio’s website. I am constrained to bookshelf size (they are to be placed on my piano).

Any views/advice?

Many thanks in advance.

Last edited:
The Golden ratio enclosures advised for the A10 would be too tall.

It depends on what kind of bass extention you need, but the Alpair 10 (M or P variation) can work well in a small sealed box with a decent response untill 50Hz. I have a pair of 10M gen3 in an 11.5L sealed box, and did build the same box for a friend with the 10P. The response of the two drives, both in the same size box is almost the same, and mainly different at the top (10p is a tad darker sounding).

If that is too big, i would not look at fullrange drivers, as they mostly need bigger boxes than a 2 way bookshelf with a midwoofer and a tweeter.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
...and mainly different at the top (10p is a tad darker sounding).

I call it a vintage top end, a little soft and non-fatiguing

If that is too big, i would not look at fullrange drivers, as they mostly need bigger boxes than a 2 way bookshelf with a midwoofer and a tweeter.

A pretty weak and inaccurate generalization.

dave

Hi Giulio,
I don’t have the vast & expert experience Dave has, but I do have the A11MS in 5L sealed cabinets, to me, piano sounds more realistic than through any speakers i have ever owned previously, mine are crossed over to bass cabinets at 250hz but I sometimes like to listen at quite high SPL’s.

I call it a vintage top end, a little soft and non-fatiguing

dave

Hi Dave,

I did send you an email at planet10last monday. Has it gone to spam?

Here goes the gist of it: I would be interested in buying plans for a bookshelf enclosure for the A10P. Anything in the range of sizes in the Nostromo pdf below would work for me,
with the largest size being at the limit of what I can accommodate as far as height and depth are concerned.
http://wodendesign.com/downloads/Nostromo-Alpair11ms-reflex.pdf

Could you please advise on cost?

Please PM me here if you cannot locate my email.

Many thanks,
Giulio

Would this be a mono set up? What outputs from the piano?

I wonder if you could use a Hypex Fusion amp, run the drivers together and integrate a little sub. too much faff?

Interested to see how this pans out, keen to get my dad an electric piano and the sound of the budget ones seem ok, but could be much better...

Would this be a mono set up? What outputs from the piano?

I wonder if you could use a Hypex Fusion amp, run the drivers together and integrate a little sub. too much faff?

Interested to see how this pans out, keen to get my dad an electric piano and the sound of the budget ones seem ok, but could be much better...

It will be a stereo set up: two monitors using the A10P. I am using a digital piano controller (Kawai VPC1) into an Intel NUC connected via USB to a Centrance Dacport HD day and Schiit Magni3+ headphone/pre. The pre is going to feed an Anaview AMS1000 (just because I have it lying around, I much prefer a gainclone in my main music system).

I have no space for a subwoofer in my music room, nor, from experimenting with off the shelf monitors, do I think it is strictly necessary. Furthermore, since most of my playing is at night, I am using headphones (Sennheiser HD800) more than 50% of the time. I will update you once the enclosures are built and speakers are up and running.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.