3" Driver choice

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Even thou they might be pricier, these 2 are what i consider best value. And they are the drivers to put into FH-Lite.

Stock, the Alpair is smoother, EnABLed (the FF85wKeN gets extra work), they are REALLY close.

Put either of these in an FH-Lite and they will stun you with how much bass they can produce.

There are ALOT of drivers at half the price, i have heard the VIFA TG9 (the cheaper TC9 sucks AFAIC), The Fountek FR88ex is OK, i have the Faital Pro enroute (and boxes waiting for them).

The cheaper of the Scan F10s is better as a FR than the more expensive one but still over-priced IMO. All the TBs i have heard are older ones (and it is hard to standardize on them, given how fast models turn-over).

In line with expectation based on the Alpair 5.2, the CHN-70 is likely a good cheaper driver (i have boxes underway, but i have stalled).

Note that like the new A7/11ms is the Alpair 5.2/3 are mono suspension. For the FHL the A6.2m/p are also well worth considering and should offer more punch in the bass, than the A5.

If i had to pick just one it woud be the Alpair 5.2 (being superceded by the A5.3 which has only a different voice coil wire, and wa spromted by demand from Japan). Little real difference between the 2.

[peve]And the real colours are copper & silver (the gold and gray nomenclature come from the 1st generation which did have gold & grey).[/peve]

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.