Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Full Range Driver in LCR Dual Center
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st September 2019, 06:40 PM   #11
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGM1975 View Post
Dayton Audio PS95/83 or the Peerless TC9FD
That Dayton looks to be in the same family as the 8 point source, i have heard it (EnABLed), and it seems to have great potential. But will struggle to get low enuff to reach your woofers, and may not provide sufficient volume capability.

A larger driver might be more appropriate.

I am not a big fan of Dayton (PEs house brand), nothing to do with the quality of the product.

The TC9 is trash AFAIC. I bought 4, was very dissapointed, have managed to give away 2 of them in 3 years.

dave
Old 21st September 2019, 06:44 PM   #12
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Not what one calls a 'ringing' endorsement', or was this one of its shortcomings?

GM
Old 21st September 2019, 06:57 PM   #13
norman bates is offline norman bates  United States
diyAudio Member

(Gasp) what ? Someone doesn't love the tc9 ?

Lol.

Or you could go up to an 8' full range, say the w8-2145 for $100 each.

But don't expect better than couch dispersion at 12'.

Norman

Last edited by norman bates; 21st September 2019 at 07:00 PM.
Old 22nd September 2019, 01:59 AM   #14
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

It’s been my experience that surround in a small room is one of those venues in which narrow dispersion and/or close listening window can be advantageous.
Dave, what is the distance to the couch in your current system - 5 meters or so?
Old 22nd September 2019, 02:43 AM   #15
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

12-14’.

dave
Old 22nd September 2019, 02:49 AM   #16
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

So, I was close.
Old 25th September 2019, 12:25 AM   #17
PGM1975 is offline PGM1975  Canada
diyAudio Member

chrisb, planet10, and others, I appreciate your comments.
I'm debating now whether I should proceed with the full DIY project with the FR drivers, or simply buy a pair of used Artison Skecth LCR on ebay and build custom wall-mountable enclosures. Buying used and building the enclosure will allow me to utilize the internal electronic components of an already-tested system. But the full DIY project is more rewarding... if it works out.
I must say that researching full range drivers has become a little frustrating at times. It's almost as though the specs and graphs only give part of the equation; the other part being how they actually sound in person. And that, I simply can't do without buying, unfortunately.
Old 25th September 2019, 12:38 AM   #18
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
...as though the specs and graphs only give part of the equation...
That is the case with all drivers, it is just that FR drivers are harder to get right.

dave
Old 25th September 2019, 12:41 AM   #19
norman bates is offline norman bates  United States
diyAudio Member

Np.

Ah, thats one of those sound bars with a baziliion little speakers in it.

Heard something like that at best buy years ago.

They are neat.
Old 25th September 2019, 02:36 AM   #20
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

If there are more than one model of LCR speakers in the Artison line, note that if the one you linked to earlier is the same as currently shown on their website that it includes an angled side firing tweeter that as I mentioned above is assumed to be connected to the two pairs of mid-woofers in an rather interesting MTM arrangement. If you’re intending to build a cabinet for these, or even mount them in wall, you’ll need to ensure output from those tweeters is not blocked.

Of course, I’ve not purchased a commercially built loudspeaker for over 20 years, and would still be inclined to build something. If you’re lucky enough to have a full wall available for both the TV and speakers; a luxury not available in my case, something much simpler than the 16 drivers per side - if I read the spec correctly - would be relatively simple. And to repeat what I’d posted above, I’d consider FR drivers to be a very good candidate for small room multichannel system. I’ve been quite happy with the results of such for at least 10yrs, and my room is rather larger than yours (i.e. 340sq ft)

I can envision (starting with*) something as simple as two 4” or so FR drivers per enclosure.

*spoiler alert, for some folks DIY speaker building is kinda like that old Mark Messier potato chip commercial - “betcha can’t eat just one”.

Full Range Driver in LCR Dual CenterHide this!Advertise here!