Delco FR loudspeaker - a very pleasant surprise!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Today I received four of these:
16149126 - bsacoustic.com

These are oval hole but round speakers (looks like 6.5" nominal diameter). They say 9.5 Ohms and have a strange connector terminals - anyone knows where to get one cheap before I use the soldering iron?

I originally needed a different model and chose these as replacement. Two more pictures:
attachment.php

attachment.php

The measured response in the middle of the room on a stool:
attachment.php

And in a plastic bucket with polyfil at the floor near to a wall, just a random placement:
attachment.php

In both cases, mic on axis ca 0.5 m. I just played some quick tune on it and these will definitely serve well the purposes of testing single enclosure stereo sound, floor-wall coupled flooders and quasi-omni arrangements.

Attachments

• delcoFront.png
    delcoFront.png
    325.8 KB · Views: 664
  • delcoBack.png
    delcoBack.png
    316 KB · Views: 434
  • Delco01.jpg
    Delco01.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 416
  • Delco02.jpg
    Delco02.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 397
Last edited:
Delco Electronics USA are known primarily for auto sound systems, General Motors in particular. They’re actually a subsidiary of AT&T now since their purchase of DIRECTV. Without a closer look, that terminal connection is most likely proprietary.

You're thinking of GM Hughes.

Delco became Delphi Technologies, supplier of all manner of automotive electronics, founded in the 1880's. Aptiv was spun out of Delphi some time ago and does high end AI with applications in transportation. Delphi went bankrupt along with GM around 2008.

I've got some TO-3 Delco transistors from the early era of electronic ignition, However, I don't think that they ever made speakers -- more likely had someone like Harman do it for them.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
It is definitely a car speaker and I would expect that it must have been quite common, maybe in an era or in a car brand. Googling GM speaker connectors brings some that might fit. Please see the detail. It is two narrow pins inside, the plastic part is split on one side and with some type of locking window on the other side.

Attachments

• C92BCAA9-DF7A-4ED3-841E-FA603DD24444.jpeg
    C92BCAA9-DF7A-4ED3-841E-FA603DD24444.jpeg
    74.9 KB · Views: 68
You're thinking of GM Hughes.

Delco became Delphi Technologies, supplier of all manner of automotive electronics, founded in the 1880's. Aptiv was spun out of Delphi some time ago and does high end AI with applications in transportation. Delphi went bankrupt along with GM around 2008.

I've got some TO-3 Delco transistors from the early era of electronic ignition, However, I don't think that they ever made speakers -- more likely had someone like Harman do it for them.

Well, yes and no. I will admit the history is a bit murky but, from my research, GM purchased Hughes Aircraft and merged it with Delco Electronics in 1985 to form Hughes Electronics Corporation, an independent subsidiary. In 1997, all of the aerospace and defense businesses of Hughes Electronics (Hughes Aircraft and Delco Systems Operations) merged with Raytheon; the Hughes Network Systems portion of Hughes Communications became DirecTV; and the commercial portion of Delco Electronics was transferred to GM's Delphi Automotive business. (In other words, Delco became a part of Delphi, not Delphi itself). In 1999 Delphi became a separate publicly traded company, and continued to use the Delco Electronics name for several of its subsidiaries until 2004. The really murky bit comes afterward during the bankruptcies of 2008. Bloomberg still lists them as a valid company (Bloomberg - Are you a robot?), with it appearing that somehow (with no apparent evidence) Delco got shuffled from Delphi to DirecTV (Hughes), albeit difficult to determine who really shuffled them off to whom. Matters aren’t helped by the fact that GM still retains rights to the ACDelco name and speakers are still sold under that brand, even as part of the Bose premium system in some Chevys. :spin: :spin: :spin:

It is definitely a car speaker and I would expect that it must have been quite common, maybe in an era or in a car brand. Googling GM speaker connectors brings some that might fit. Please see the detail. It is two narrow pins inside, the plastic part is split on one side and with some type of locking window on the other side.

You might inquire with bsacoustics to see if they have the mating plug/harness. Another possibility would be to show it to a local car stereo shop or GM dealer in CZ to see if they can source it for you or show you how to bypass it. Looking at the speaker again it looks like it was meant to be mounted from underneath a rear shelf.

Last edited:
However, I don't think that they ever made speakers -- more likely had someone like Harman do it for them.

Delco's manufacturer EIC code of 466 is on the speaker.

I agree with Bare about the connector. Either search for GM speaker connector (there should be millions of them in junk yards and car stereo shops) or just solder wires in place right where you have them. It's not worth more than a minute of worry.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.