New DMA90-8 3.5in Al cone dual magnet

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I just saw this new Dayton driver and it looks like it has an interesting set of specs. Looks useful in MLTL, Karlsonators, and WAW/FAST use in general. At $18 not a bad price. There are also 2.5in and 4in variants.

https://www.parts-express.com/pedocs/specs/295-589--dayton-audio-dma90-8-specification-sheet.pdf

Dayton_DMA90-4_(Photo_1).jpg

Dayton_DMA90-4_(Frequency_response).png

Resonant frequency Fs 88.2 Hz
Surface of the diaphragm Sd 38.5 cm²
Effective diaphragm diameter Ø 7 cm
DC resistance Re 3.8 Ω
Mechanical Q Qms 2.50
Electrical Q Qes 0.56
Total Q factor Qts 0.45
Efficiency bandwidth product EBP 157
Suspension equivalent air volume Vas 2.265 litres
Suspension mechanical compliance Cms 1030 µm/N
Moving mass Mmd 3.1 g
Moving mass (including airload) Mms 3.2 g
Mechanical resistance Rms 0.7 N·s/m
Force factor BL 3.5 T·m
Voice coil inductance Le 0.3 mH
Maximum linear excursion Xmax ± 2.5 mm
Displacement volume at Xmax Vd 9.6 cm³
Efficiency η₀ 0.27 %

Does anyone have any experience or listening impressions?

Last edited:
Yes, the driver caught my attention too. Unfortunately, I’ve packed up all my drivers and baffles after moving to another apartment. A cute little HomePod provides music for me now - and I wish I could alter its bassy character but enjoy it just the same.

If my H-frame was still setup I’d build a baffle for this new Dayton and give a listen. Instead, I hope to hear positive reviews for this relatively inexpensive driver. Will it be a giant killer or simply provide another good option to the other budget full rangers from TB, Fostex, Dayton, Vifa, etc...

Will it be a giant killer or simply provide another good option to the other budget full rangers from TB, Fostex, Dayton, Vifa, etc...

I saw them too arriving in my email box.

My bet is on the latter.

That fall of -6dBs from 2.5k to 8k doesn't inspire confidence. It might take the life out of them. Probably best used with a small tweeter.

But specs look good for a MLTL indeed.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I received the drivers the other day. They are well made but note that the basket is plastic and not cast aluminum as it sort of appears that way. It has a large suspension with good support. The diaphragm and dustcap are both aluminum. I am not crazy about how large the square plastic bezel appears though - the lack of the 4 corner bevels seems to really make the driver look bigger than 3.5in compared to how small a TC9FD is. OTOH, mounting them flush in a line array simply requires a long trench rebate vs 25 beveled corners per side. A snap to assemble for a line-array as they would stack touching each other and leave no gap on the corners like a TC9FD would.

Still need to listen to it though.

Last edited:
Hello. As this thread was closed I have published my questions in Multiway.
I apologize and bring it up again here.
I am planning to build home theater speakers using the Dayton Audio DMA90-4 and DMA90-8.
My idea is to put two DMA90-8 in parallel for the center channel and for the front and rear channels to use single DMA90-4.
I was thinking of adding a HIVI T20 tweeter to each channel.
My question is what volume would each box have, how wide would the front baffle be and if it is convenient to put the HIVI tweeter on it.
Greetings and thank you for your help.

Nobody?. I see specifications on the Part Express page, where it suggests that for a ventilated box it would take 0.01ft3 (2.8 liters).
Would that net internal volume be okay?

Product Details​

BrandDayton Audio
ModelDMA90-8
Part Number295-589
UPC848791005275
Unit of MeasureEach
Weight0.45

Product Specifications​

Nominal Diameter3-1/2"
Bolt Circle Diameter4.29
Power Handling (RMS)30 Watts
Power Handling (MAX)60 Watts
Impedance
Frequency Response90 to 20,000Hz
Sensitivity85.3dB 2.83V/1m
Voice Coil Diameter1"

Thiele-Small Parameters​

Resonant Frequency (Fs)94.2Hz
DC Resistance (Re)7.3Ω
Voice Coil Inductance (Le)0.54mH
Mechanical Q (Qms)2.65
Electromagnetic Q (Qes)0.73
Total Q (Qts)0.57
Compliance Equivalent Volume (Vas)0.05ft³
Mechanical Compliance of Suspension (Cms)0.77mm/N
BL Product (BL)4.7T·m
Diaphragm Mass Inc. Airload (Mms)3.7g
Maximum Linear Excursion (Xmax)2.5mm
Surface Area of Cone (Sd)38.5cm²

Materials of Construction​

Cone MaterialAluminum
Surround MaterialRubber
Voice Coil Wire MaterialCopper
Voice Coil FormerAluminum
Basket / Frame MaterialPolymer
Magnet MaterialNeodymium

Mounting Information​

Overall Outside Diameter3.54" x 3.54"
Baffle Cutout Diameter3.28"
Depth1.63"
# Mounting Holes4

Parts Express Staff Recommended Enclosure Volume​

Sealed Volume0.05ft³
Sealed F3132Hz
Vented Volume0.1ft³
Vented F365Hz

If I calculate it on the HIFI Loudspeaker Design online calculator, it indicates an internal volume of 4.21 liters (0.14 cubic feet); F3 53.8Hz: Fb 65.62Hz; port diameter 2.25 cms (0.88 inches) and port length 4.81 cms (1.89 inches).
Do I listen to Part Express or the online calculator?

Purely based on the published driver data & what you state you want, I'd probably say 'neither' ;)

Quickly going through your questions from 3 posts ago (and again, assuming the published driver data):

• No reason why you can't use a pair of the 8ohm units with the HiVi tweeter for the centre once you factor a modicum of losses into the equation (acoustic & some electrical for wire & connection resistance). However, a lateral MTM is rarely a great configuration -it's popular because of the appearance & convenience but especially with higher crossover frequencies it's not ideal on the polars. As far as alignments go, & incorporating about 1/2ohm series R for typical wire loop & connection losses, you'd probably be looking at about 10 litres tuned to about 68Hz for a relatively flat vented with modest losses & damping. Since it's a centre channel & not expected to handle LF frequencies though (that's what the mains are for) I'd be more inclined to run it sealed (same Vb for a Butterworth alignment).
  • For the single 4ohm, assuming vented, the published data & same wire, connection losses as above, I'd look at roughly 3.5 litres with an Fb of ~74Hz, with modest box losses & damping, giving a fairly practical, lightly damped alignment. Sealed would be a net of about 2 litres, with the same assumptions made.
  • Baffle width = 'whatever you want it to be, assuming there's physical room for all you want'