corner line array and SB10PGC21-4

Good day all!

I have recently finished a pair of 3 way dipole speakers. Still finetuning them, but also looking into speakers for another room, about 3.5m x 4.5m and 2.5m ceiling. The room is symmetrical and corner line arrays would fit in very well - so I tend towards these.

I read a lot through Wesayso's thread, also the corner loaded array from ra7 and got some of the Vifa TC9FD-8-18 to play with. I also ordered some of these new fullrange drivers from SB acoustics (about 12 euros each, excl VAT).

SB Acoustics :: 3” SB10PGC21-4<br><font color="#C70039">SHIPPING</font>

Is the lower Fs (89Hz instead of the 125Hz for the Vifa) an advantage? I think so?!

Does anyone know of a service, in Zwitserland or neighboring countries, that could provide me with CNC cut baffles? I am thinking plywood.

best regards!
Erik

Hi Erik, where did you find the new SB drivers for sale, and at that price? Frank showed them to me at the SB booth a year ago in Munich, but I haven't seen them anywhere on actual sale.

We can talk about a small cnc job, I am based in Vienna and have access to a CNC.

Thanks for the replies!

The supplier is Compacbel, a Belgian company.

Compagnie Acoustique de Belgique, Compacbel

Actually I buy from compacbel and the products are shipped directly from Denmark. Please note that the price I gave, about EUR 12 each, is without VAT! OTOH, Compacbel told me that SB will only give a price break at 250 units, I am sure we could arrange a purchase through Compacbel and have the shipper Frank split into 4 orders (assuming a pair of line arrays will use about 60 drivers) - who is in for a GB? :)

Regarding the CNC, thanks for offer. I will write you!
Erik

I am very curious how this one will work, looking forward to hearing about listening impressions :)

Crude SB10 vs TC9 comparison:
* 34% less moving surface (3" vs 3,5" in same formfactor)
* Good HF rise, lends itself well to a line source configuration
* Similar price point
* Might like smaller closed volume = thinner/less deep cabinet

I am slowly catching up with this project again. The last months I listened to a pair of back to back of the drivers, supported with a 12" SB34NRX75-16. It hangs from the ceiling, freeing up some precious floor space which is nice for the our children! I can enjoy the ECM records stuff quite well, so I am going for the line array setup in another room!

I must admit I have not made a lot of measurements (just some tuning of the crossover and SLP filters needed in the OB operation, but no distortion) and I am aware I will need to do that on the line arrays for optimum performance.

Regarding the Open Baffle line array:I must admit that I still like that idea very much. One of my ideas was to extend the array of FR drivers to the floor :) Still, for the moment I am looking for something that can be "hidden" in the corners and still has potential for excellent performance (as I read in other threads).

Now, I have no experience with sealed boxes. How to calculate the required volume for the sealed enclosure? :) I will read about that!

Attachments

• 2019-11-30 12.21.06.jpg
    2019-11-30 12.21.06.jpg
    718.9 KB · Views: 429
Madisound on their SB10PGC21-4 page lists these sizes/F3 for sealed enclosures:

1.5 liters sealed and stuffed for F3 of 99 Hz
2 liters sealed and stuffed for F3 of 97 Hz
3 liters sealed and stuffed for F3 of 94 Hz

Most people would likely chose the smaller size for line arrays given that little is gained by building larger boxes.

Hi Perceval,

I am very curious about your results! I have 10 pieces already and another 60 are on their way. My first project with them will be a open baffle line array, with 32 speakers per side (4 groups of 8 speakers, 4x 32 ohms, all in parallel for 8 ohms).

progress will be very slow though, as I want to do measurements and learn throughout the build.

Corner line array is still a possibility, but maybe won't be necessary.

Posted in the 10F, but relevant here

I just had fun and put one in a test sealed box, and another on OB.

Fun driver, lively, yet controlled. Good details.
I prefer the sound coming from the OB, it feels like the driver is free to do its thing, while the sealed box sounds a little stuffed.

Should be a fun OB line array driver!

I have yet to make measurements.

Interested in this driver for OB line array

Greetings from Australia,

One MG3A midrange panel has died from corrosion after 40 years and is expensive to repair. I am considering re-using the awesome MG3A ribbon tweeter with a midrange line array of these drivers. They are currently out of stock in Australia and I will not have time to start until about October 2021.

Meanwhile, if I may, I would like to follow this thread and learn from your experiences. The frequency response looks excellent and the square format makes it easy to minimise the centre-to-centre distance. Price is manageable.

I had also considered the BG Neo10, but that has 6dB per octable rise from 1KHz, which looks awkward to manage in a crossover.

It's about 50 years since I built any speakers. Back then it was Wharfedale super 10s.

- Tony