Wiring for fullrange drivers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone. I am posting a topic that has been long debated over and over again. I am posting to get some ( hopefully down the Earth answers ) about some wire brands I am looking at using? Or share what you have used and how it has worked in your system? Here are a few companies I am looking to buy 12 gauge wire from?

1. Mono price wires? They have mixed reviews about the grade of copper they use?

2. Gotham Cable. It's good cable and it works. Ask Mr. Pass labs.

3. Canare Cable. It's good Cable and some think their focus on twisted shielding hurts the sound?

4.Sommer Cables. Not much about them but their catalog they send me is huge.

5. Nvx and knukonceptz they look amazing for the 12 guage wires? They are priced well but, are they worth it?

6. Jsc or Carol or sewell wires? Not much about them or anyone using them?

These are the speaker wire companies am looking at using for my speaker system. Tell me what you think? Thanks Jeff

Why don't you start with a budget 16 gauge speaker wire - not THE cheapest, but just your average OK speaker wire, like this:
Audtek Electronics SKRL-16-100 16 AWG OFC Speaker Wire 100 ft.
I use this stuff and it is just fine.

Later, when you think that there might be some slight metallic haze in the sound you can start to experiment with esoteric cables, and then report back on how veils were lifted! ;)

It's going to be a ported box. The drivers are going to be 8 inch full range drivers. I will be using sold state amps and pre amp as well. I have a friend who is sellingbme the amps and hooking me up with the pre amp. So he uses underground burial wire for speaker wire. . He says he uses it because his drivers are so efficient you wouldn't be able to tell a difference in the wires and unless you switched to all tube amps and not sold state amps? Jeff

Why don't you start with a budget 16 gauge speaker wire - not THE cheapest, but just your average OK speaker wire, like this:
Audtek Electronics SKRL-16-100 16 AWG OFC Speaker Wire 100 ft.
I use this stuff and it is just fine.

Later, when you think that there might be some slight metallic haze in the sound you can start to experiment with esoteric cables, and then report back on how veils were lifted! ;)

Yes I could start with a basic cable and move up from thare vert true. I will look into it. Thanks Jeff

12 gauge is a waste, I think. That's larger than the wire in the walls of your house for a 15 amp circuit. 16 is fine. As indicated, if you get some good CAT5 wire you can twist the strands as you like and make it as large an aggregate gauge as you like. I have done it and it works quite well.

Ideally, all speaker wiring should be made from oxygen-free silver strands that have been spun in their looms by Elvish virgins under the light of the first full moon of Spring. Pardon me, I thought was was the Audio Asylum :D

I would probably go for these instead:
"The silver hairs of the Buxom Elvish Virgins living in the damp swamp environment of Moist Marshes, made oxygen free by means of their very special hand braiding technique during foreplay, as a last preparation to their very busy, lifetime lasting, sacred mating ritual. Only the naturally freed hairs are used, from the Final Combing process. A set of cables suitable for a pair of speakers is the product of 25 Elven Virgins contributions.
Sound so detailed and delicate you'd have to hear it, to believe it. Get's you right on the edge, every time."

But that's just me.

Edit:
I got some regular speaker cable last time, 1.5mm2, bought some cheap banana plugs too. Works quite well.
Dreaming of having the budget to go visit those Buxom Elven Virgins, instead of just purchasing their hair.

Last edited:
So here's a up date. Take 5 wire is out of stock of the cat 5 wire. I have two wire company's am looking at?

1. Mono price wire.

2. Crutchfield 14 guage wire with banana plugs on both ends for a 20 foot pair it's $24.99.

I would get 2 sets of this wire. So I can cut the ends off use them on my dads new cables and cut it to the length I need. Then put my banana plugs on them with shrinking tube. I don't mind doing the extra work and I get 4 sets of banana post and wire. I do have everything in at home I hope? I think that's pretty good for some nice wire. I also looked at a brand from back in the day called Sound king wire. I thought it was wire king? So that's the update. I might in the future buy mono price wire for my daughter's system in the future. Thanks for everyone's help. It's a nasty can of worms to open but, I figured this is the place to get honest options and some helpful advice. Cheers Jeff

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.