Cheap 8" full-range that works well in ~1cu.ft vented enclosure?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Cheap 8" full-range that works well in ~2.8cu.ft (80 liters) vented enclosure?

Hi folks, I'm hoping for some recommendations on an inexpensive 8" full-range driver under $50/each. These will be in (EDITED)~2.8cu.ft. (80 liters) enclosures tuned to 30-40hz and used for anything from classical to jazz to metal to alternative. Mostly rock though.

Hoping for as close to reference level volumes as possible.
I also want slightly exaggerated bass for Pop music, etc.
The ceiling mounting will help a little with this.

They'll be in-ceiling and used for whole-house audio.
Powered by their own individual digital amps. Something like a Lepai 2020.
But more likely a bit more powerful. Like 50W per channel. Everything will play mono.
I think most (or all) rooms will have two speakers just to fill the space and utilize both channels of the digital amps.

IB is out of the discussion due to a two-story home.

Last edited:
I think that GRS may not work well in a small vented box (it sounds like hell in a Karlson 12 - didn't bother to measure its parameters as have been ill)

BG20 sound pretty decent for their price - BetsyK maybe a bit smoother and more extended

i1bEIiG.jpg

Thanks, guys! I'm open to going with a sealed enclosure.
I've just not had great luck with bass in the very few that I've tried in the past.

The Betsy-K looks neat. I imagine shipping & tax might take it even more expensive though.

The Visaton BG20 is something I checked out when considering vented but found it required too large a box.

If I include sealed in my quest, this gives me a couple options to Google about.

I just noticed the quote below.
PartsExpress recommends a much larger enclosure, too large for me.
But Visaton adds this comment for the BG20:

"Works great in a 1.05 cubic foot enclosure tuned to 42 Hz"

Due to it being mass produced (available for a very long time, even on Amazon) I am researching this speaker right now.
I love Googling DIYAudio.com for threads.

42hz sounds great for the music-only purpose these will serve.
Not enough for a lot of Classical but great for almost everything else.

How many drivers are you looking to use? If it’s a large enough quantity Doug (d to the g here on the forum) might work with you on a discount for the Betsy-K. He’s taking January off but you can check in the WBAL forum (look under Manufacturers, last one) or use the contact form on his website. Mind you, I’m not speaking for the company since I don’t work for them but it never hurts to ask.

Only two drivers are needed right away. Then a couple more during the next room remodel. Then a couple more during the following remodel. Etc. and So On...
Which is why mass-production appeals to me. ;)
I could be at this for a couple years.

Though a Google search indicates both the Betsy's and Wild Burro have both been around for a while.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.