XL's and ARC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Decided to simplify into one system for the house, so I got an Anthem MRX-520 receiver. Found that it sounds better using my outboard ICEPower amp for the front channels, but overall the preamp section is quite good.

Of particular interest is running the ARC on my FH XL's. I have them corner loaded, which likely explains the big low-bass bump in the graph.

Interestingly, with ARC, they are a little less forward, and demonstrate a little less of the "peaky" sound single driver speakers are known for. Though in their defense the XL's demonstrate very little of this compared to other single driver speakers I've used.

The resulting sound quality is quite good. It's interesting to note that the XL's get pretty darned close to the ideal curve than I would have expected w/o correction.

ARC is no joke, even for 2-channel listening I'm very impressed with the results. I wonder how good it would sound using Anthem's 2-channel ARC offerings, though I'd bet it's similar to what I'm getting with the ICEPower amp.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-11-29 at 2.26.20 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-11-29 at 2.26.20 PM.png
    326 KB · Views: 118
I have tried ARC a few years ago.

What it did was correct the FR a bit, but came up with many phasing issues.

Resulting sound was not pleasing.

Now, I use DRCDesigner, and it works way better than ARC or Dirac, albeit, a lot more involving and trying to understand the programming behind it.

But I get that the one-click commercial solution might be appealing. The important thing is to enjoy the music.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.