Mark Audio

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi folks,

I'm currently looking at Mark Audio full range drivers for a small ported box I'm chewing over.

Which would be the best driver for this application? I'm looking at the Pluvia Eleven 6 inch, or the Alpair 10P 6 inch. I have a preference for paper, but that doesn't rule out considering the Pluvia metal cone.

The stats of both are similar and both are more suitable for ported over sealed so I'm going ported.

MA's enclosure plans look the business for a simple ported box...

Any feedback will be appreciated...

Cheers, Martin

Last edited:
I’ve been a fan of Mark’s drivers for a few years myself and have probably built a wider range of Dave and Scott Lindgren’s designs than most folks here. Before narrowing the design decision to enclosures specifically for the Pluvias or A10P, I’d ask a few questions about the application - this has long been the first step in my planning process:
- size / shape of room
- constraints on size/placement of enclosures
- music only, or small home theatre
- sub-woofer(s) to be included
- expected prime listening distance
- amplifier type/power to be available

Depending on the above, and just how “small” an enclosure you’ll have room for, you might well find that the 70mm series (Pluvia 7, A7.3, or the new A7MS) might well serve your needs.

That said, I’ve found Dave’s simpler CGR style pretty easy builds, and definitely prefer them to the basic BR boxes - indeed as far back as with Fostex FE127 and 167s, well before using any of the MA drivers.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Martin,

What do you intend when you say small? The P11 is optimal in a smaller box.

Pluvia11-CGR.jpg

As a line the Pluvias are a step down form the Alpairs. The A10p are paper, the Pluvia metal, a more direct comparison would be the Alpair 10.3. The new Alpair 11ms (in limited release so far) is the new series developed on the original basket development that the Pluvia represents.

On pure sonics i would personally choose the A10p over the P11. I consider the A10p and the A10.3 to be 6 of one/half dozen of the other. Tha A11ms extends a new level of performance.

Note that the P11/A11ms are 6”. the A10p/10.3 are 5.25” drivA10p are the most efficient MA drivers but for the marginally better A12p) not nere essentially the cessarily better sounding).
That the P11/A10p are essentially the same price, is only a blip in time. Mark has purposely been keeping MA driver prices relatively lower than would normally be the case so as to gain market share as the company broke into the market. So the Pluvias represent some easing of this and the fact that the new basket is even pricier to make than the old Alpair (A10p/A10.3) basket, which already costs more than the more common aluminum baskets.

Also what associated equipment will you/do you have?

dave

mark audio

G'day Martin,

let me start by saying, stop thinking and start buying!
I've purchased mark audio Alpair 10m's, 2nd and 3rd gen as well as Alpair 6s

I'll just say these things are the best thing to happen to my music listening life...ever.

I have 10.2's and 10.3's currently in the golden ratio boxs plans on the mark audio website. I'll also maybe be a little different and preface all this by saying that my music interests are more electronic than jazz/classical and these things are absolutely made for modern music.

I would say go with metal (based on hearing the metal models) and definately go ported. the 10.3's sound like they have subs going, and many have commented on the bass, asking "where the sub was"....these things BLOW AIR and have excursion like you've never seen before!

finally, amp these bad boys up good and proper...more watts than it says on the box. i have an older nakamichi avs3 receiver which is powering them amazingly at the moment, but i'm looking at upgrading this soon.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.