Open Baffle 8 inch fullrange driver , bottom frequency response.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Open Baffle 8 inch fullrange driver , bottom frequency response.

Hi friends , someone know which would be the low frequency response for a 8 inch fullrange driver like the Fostex FE206en in a open baffle ?

The size is 40inch about x 25inch about..

Is possible obtain 150hz -3db ?

The picture is only an example.

Thanks ,
Santiago

Attachments

• maxresdefault.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 419
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
… the low frequency response for a 8 inch fullrange driver like the Fostex FE206en in a open baffle?

With this driver next to none unless you have helper woofers. The response will not be as good as this, falling off by another 6dB/octave below the frequency at which the baffle supports 2π steriradian radiation.

attachment.php

dave

Attachments

• FE206En-IB-sim.png
    FE206En-IB-sim.png
    9.4 KB · Views: 989
I seem to recall this question being asked only about a fortnight ago, and the answer hasn't changed in the intervening few days. ;)

The FE206En has an anechoic infinite baffle -3dB mass-corner of 463.92Hz assuming a voltage source amplifier. Assuming an amplifier with an output impedance of 2.5ohms, that drops to 358.56Hz; and at 4ohms to 311.48Hz.

Sticking it on a 25in x 40in baffle that will drop, but you aren't likely to hit an F3 of 150Hz. F6 maybe just, with some help from the amplifier or series R e.g. as Dave shows above, and in the attached. But as a short-coil design you only have 0.8mm of nominal linear travel to play with. Fostex drivers tend to overload more gracefully than some, but it will still struggle on a baffle like this.

Attachments

• 206En baffle.gif
    206En baffle.gif
    19.4 KB · Views: 322
Depends on the crossover. The 206 as-is is already likely to be about 6dB down at 150Hz & will need protecting from frequencies below that to avoid excessive excursion. You'd need a pair of subs to avoid audible directionality probably between ~75Hz - 50Hz from a single subwoofer run up that high.

Assuming you would prefer to hear honest opinions: use the correct tools for the job. You can use the 206 on a baffle, no question about that, but for reasonable performance it will need proper support with at least one woofer per channel, and a properly designed crossover (which doesn't necessarily have to be complex -just properly done). If you have to go lower, and only have a single subwoofer, then you need a different driver which will get you closer to what you need.

It also seems to me that I have answeed this question not long time ago. There is just no easy way around it.
I have tried a Fostex FE206 e on Open Baffle, gave it a listen for a few days and then dismantled it.
Better think of it way: 206 can work on OB, but:
You have to cross it high, 400 Hz, second order for example. Then, you can use a subwoofer, but you also MUST use a woofer(s) as well. It can be an OB, to fill the gap from, say 80 hz to 400 hz. If you want it to work well, I prefer you to buy a pair of 15, or even 18 inch woofers and build a H-frame. Also, you must go active, since the efficiency mismatch will be large.
I know you want to utilize the drivers and the sub that you have, but it just doesn't work.
You must purchase additional woofers, amplifier, active crossover (maybe DSP).
Or, forget about OB with that driver and at least build a BiB :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.