Changing 4 ohms to 8 ohms

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2011
I need to change speaker impedance from 4 ohms to 8 ohms.
Just adding 4 ohms resistor?

Not likely to be possible unless you have multiple, similar drivers that
can be connected differently, like parallel to series, etc.

The series resistor would do this, yes, but would also waste half the power,
and ruin the damping. Sounds like you want to use it with a bridged amplifier.

Last edited:
My amp Yamaha AX-10 (new caps and tubes) wants minimum 6 ohms speakers. One pair is A, and second pair is B. As a B speakers I want 8 ohms so they will be less loud, just supporting the stereo effect.
A+B has to be min 12 ohms.

So I will add eg 4 ohms in parallel connection, or serial?
Why I didn't give more attention to school...

Assuming you're only running 1 set of speakers, and not pushing the amplifier to it's limits, I would have no issue using 4 ohm speakers - unless you're using known "drops to 2 ohm" difficult to drive speakers.

Using a 4 ohm resistor in series with the speakers seems like a really bad (though technically correct) idea, as half the output from the amplifier will be turned into heat and nothing more.

Just my $0.02 and your mileage may vary of course.

The AX-10 is designed for a 6 ohm minimum speaker load.

When two sets of speakers are connected to the AX-10, the combined impedance must not drop below 6 ohm.

On the back of the amp it is indicated that, if two sets of speakers are used, then each set should have a minimum impedance of 12 ohm. (Two sets of 12 ohm speakers in parallel present a safe load of 6 ohm to the amp.)

A combination such as set A = 8 ohm and set B = 8 ohm would appear NOT to be acceptable, as this would present a load of only 4 ohm to the amp.

The safest solution is NOT to run two sets of speakers on the AX-10 unless the impedance of each set is a minimum of 12 ohm.

For reference, see AX-10 user manual below:

Connections - Yamaha AX-10 Owner's Manual [Page 4]

I need to change speaker impedance from 4 ohms to 8 ohms. How I can do it please? Just adding 4 ohms resistor? It sounds too easy to be true.
You are right: it is not true (it does not work / it´s a terrible idea)
My amp Yamaha AX-10 (new caps and tubes)
Yamaha AX10 has no tubes, what are you talking about?
wants minimum 6 ohms speakers.
Yes, that means standard 8 ohm speakers, which at some frequencies may drop down to 6.
So you need 2 x 8 ohm speakers, one per channel. Period.
One pair is A, and second pair is B. As a B speakers I want 8 ohms
8 ohms A speakers or b speakers is fine because that´s what your amp needs, but you can use either A or B , you can not use A+B because then they are in parallel and total impedance becomes 4 ohm, damaging your amplifier.
so they will be less loud, just supporting the stereo effect.
you can not use A+B
Adding series resistors is a TERRIBLE idea.
* you will lose half the power
* you will destroy damping
* cabinet frequency response will be anything but what designers intended
* crossovers will not work as intended

* "improving Stereo" is an iffy idea, might work or not, in any case not worth destroying your speaker system quality and losing half the power.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.