Change Fostex FE206En for Tangband in Vulcan enclosure?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well, what I can say is that the three TB drivers you mention have completely different electromechanical specs. and loading requirements to the Fostex they were designed for, so you will massively depart from anything resembling the response and behaviour I designed. Broadly speaking, I would anticipate some peaking in the upper bass region & a drop in output below that. The gain / gain BW was optimised for the 206 and its response characteristics.

Short version: I strongly discourage it. Trying to force drive units into enclosures designed for something completely different is rarely a recipe for success. There are exceptions, e.g. the current FH series which were designed to accept a reasonable range of drive units, but as a general rule, it's not a good idea.

Last edited:
Thats an answer I have expected :) By the way, I build several enclosures for the FE206En but the Vulcan were by far the best. Thank you for designing it!

I dont know if I am the only one who think that there must be a possible improvement on this corner or the other of the audio system. So I cant stop to think about it and try. If the change is the wrong way, can you suggest some materials and places inside the enclosure to experiment with? Or is it the best as it is?

hagbrain - if you’re asking Scott for specific recommendations on modifying (existing?) pair of Vulcans to “improve” it with another driver, I suspect his answer would be along the lines of “it’d make more sense to design for a specific application” - i.e. driver / room/ type and power level of amp - albeit, perhaps more colourfully worded than that

Oh, we're all looking for improvements. No harm in that, unless you get into the situation of chasing perfection, which is an end-of-the-rainbow pursuit if ever there was one (good enough is good enough). Be that as it may, to do those TB units justice, they'd need an enclosure design & optimised as far as practical for their requirements.

As for making changes to Vulcan (while leaving the driver as-intended) -not as such. I'm not suggesting it's perfect -of course it isn't, nothing is. And there are minor adjustments that can certainly be made to best optimise to a given system & preferences. But unless there is a specific goal / objective that you are trying to achieve, all we'd be doing is going around in circles or making changes purely for their own sake. If you can let me know by email what your goals are, we'll see what we might be able to do along those lines.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.