Building Plan for 4 inch Full Range Speakers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2018
I would like to build a pair of boxes for 4 inch full range 8 ohm speakers with dimensions more or less equivalent to the speakers that can be seen in the following video:

Custom 4" inch Full-range 8ohm 15W Speaker Hi-Fi Stereo Speaker Review

As this is my first loudspeaker DIY project, I have a couple of questions and would appreciate your feedback and assistance:

- I am literally living at the end of the world and the local audio market is basically not existent. You get a range of common car speakers (JBL, Pioneer, Alpine, etc.), but those are from my perspective not really usable in a project like this. Shipping costs from the US can be bit crazy depending on the merchant, so China might be an option for supplies. I thought about the following speaker:

2pcs/lot Sounderlink Audio Labs Top end 4 inch Full Range

Has anyone tested those before?

I could only find a couple of videos on YouTube.

- Could you suggest any alternative speaker models of that size?

- Is there a place where I could find a building plan for dimensions that accommodate speakers of similar size?

Thanks a lot for your feedback. :)

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
It isn’t the size of the speaker that determines the possible sizes of the box. That depends almost exclusivily on Fs, Vas, Qt.

The one enclosure i know that has proven to be a very nice box for many different drivers of this size. Frugel-Horn Mk3. The horn dominates and then the box can be adjusted to the driver with the amount of damping used below the driver.

dave

When you say more or less equivalent to the video, did you mean enclosure size, or sonics?

It shouldn’t be too difficult to find numerous suggestions for drivers / enclosures approx the perceived dimensions, but making any type of assessment of sound quality based on a You-Tube video is a joke.

Exactly at what literal end of the world are you located? That could help in suggestions for makes/models with the shortest / lowest cost shipping .

And FWIW, I think your assessment of car audio drivers being unsuitable is right on. I’ve heard them work well for background music in a restaurant suspended ceiling, but for a compact standmounted enclosure, I think there are much better choices.

So you want a nice quality compact speaker.
My suggestions:
- Fostex FF105WK sounds nice in its simple factory design bass reflex cabinet (size is in the factsheet pdf). Personally I slightly prefer the 125wk whose box is only a little bigger, it has tangible more bass and is almost as nice at the high end, to my ears.
You can order fostex from many webshops.
- an interesting and highly regarded design is Picolino 3 from the german speaker diy magazine Hobby hifi. I haven’t heard it but the measurement plots were convincing. It is a small transmission line speaker using a scanspeak unit.
Here you can buy it as a kit:
Pico Lino 3

I can recommend Mark Audio CHR-70 version 3. Even in a small sealed enclosure that I have the sound is richer, lively and more detailed than my highly reviewed 1000 dollar Monitor Audio floorstanders. I think this site ships globally and they have good customer service:
Markaudio-Lautsprecher

If you don't have time to surf around and search for different enclosures then you can even order a kit from their site with drawings :)

Mark 9

Last edited:
Exactly... ;)

The Fostex FF105WK speaker look interesting and the suggested cabinet plan does not appear too complicated for a first DIY project.

Any suggestions where those Fostex FF105WK speakers can be sourced internationally? Supply seems to be a bit limited...

Here for example:

Fostex FF105WK 4" Full Range

As I wrote above, do also consider the slightly larger ff125wk, yielding a still compact box as well, because it sounds nearly the same plus noticeably better bass.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.