The Sound of the BK-12m

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I’m quite interested in the BK-12m. I’ve experimented with Fostex FF85K, Bandor 50, and ScanSpeak 5F drivers, all sealed & the second two paired with a powered sub. Warts & all, I love single drivers.

I want to try something different, and a BLH is a creature unknown to me. It’s dubious to describe a sound, but I must have some description or comparison before I plunk down the price of the full kit. I would intend to try other drivers in addition to FE126EN & FE108E Sigma, so I need some help.

Bring all of your experiences & biases here.

Last edited:
There is already a thread on the BK-12m speakers that has a lot of good information and opinions.

I am really happy with these speakers, and still keep them in my main set-up to use for certain kinds of music. The horn delivers a surprising amount of bass volume, but without the air-pushing impact of a big woofer.

For the money, they are really outstanding, and you'll get a lot of pride from DIY, especially if this is your first effort, as it was mine.

If I had the room, and a source for a flatpack, I would have gone with the Frugelhorn instead, because the BK-12m, lacking in low-end, is less satisfying for certain kinds of music. However, the BK-12m has a front facing horn, which makes them a lot more versatile with placement.

Other cons? I've heard that the default driver is a bit shrill in this enclosure. There are many alternatives though, and the drivers I have are real gems, though unfortunately discontinued.

Sorry, really scratching my head to think of other cons. These were a real joy to build and listen to.

I am not a “bass-head” in terms of wanting that “thumpa-thumpa” effect. It’s a very controlled bass sound I want.

I would probably skip the FE126En & try the FE108E Sigma. I would begin using different drivers after that, such as a pair of the 4” Dynavox full range drivers I just snagged that were 50%-off recently at Parts Express. I’ve identified a number of 4” Tang-Band drivers that look quite interesting. There’s also the Fostex FW108-HS, while not perhaps truly full range, it might do well with a helper-tweeter. Dimensionally they all would fit. I would use adaptor plates.

Last edited:
Dave -

That’s what I suspected.

It’s a moot point, now, because I just bought a pair of NIB Lowther DX55 drivers! It was a target of opportunity. (I should have them in a week.) I’ve wanted A PAIR for 20 years, not really set on which units in particular. I am well aware of their warts. The price was far too good to pass-up. Like all of us here, I’m an experimenter.

Finding a cabinet design is proving to be difficult. David Dicks says on his website that Lowthers can be popped into BRs with no problem. I’m not so sure. I just emailed Lowther on the subject, but haven’t heard back.

How would I contact you for professional design work? I tried contacting you about a WAW idea somewhat recently, but I never received a reply.

Regards,

Karl

Lowthers were the first drivers I encountered as a name when I started reading online about audio in 1998. I think I saw them in Sound Practices magazine. I got interested in audio when the SET - fullrange driver nexus existed & there were schematics for 2A3, 45, and 300B amps everywhere. I couldn’t afford any of that at the time since I was a poor post-graduate student.

I am very fortunate to have found them, and they should arrive next Monday. I’ve been aware of their weirdness for some time, and I’m looking forward to trying different ideas to get the sound I want. I expect to use them for small ensemble & solo-instrument Jazz & classical music. I don’t see a lot of Sabbath being played through them.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.