New 10'' FR driver found

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dear All,

funny how this thread is drifting off in the old "measuring versus hearing" debate...
I always was of the opinion that this debate is totally useless, as in my humble opinion a loudspeaker should sound really good and should measure OK.
There´s a lot to be measured, and one can find a lot of informations in measurements, but not the information how the speaker sounds...
Other things are not good to measure, let´s say the difference between a simple cap and an expensive cap in the crossover, matched to the final result: if they´re of the same value, the crossover measures identical, but the listening experience will tell the difference.

As always, YMMV.

All the best

Mattes

The frequency response will tell you a lot if it's done accurately enough. It would be interesting do know what other measurements are useful when it comes to predicting how a speaker will sound?

As I stated, Step Response mostly.
It will tell you if a speaker is boomy, if it will feel "fast" or if the percussion instruments will be blurry. Combine that with Impulse, and waterfall... you can almost hear it in the room.

Here's something easy to read concerning Step Response:

Measuring Loudspeakers, Part Two Page 3 | Stereophile.com

Did some design for this driver.
TQWP with risers at the bottom to adjust the bass.
BSC , for my room 4,7mH and 8,2 ohm , sounds OK.

sinc. Leon

Attachments

• P1050119.jpg
    P1050119.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 595
  • P1050126.jpg
    P1050126.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 233
  • P1050125.jpg
    P1050125.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 586
  • P1050124.jpg
    P1050124.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 591
  • P1050123.jpg
    P1050123.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 587
  • P1050121.jpg
    P1050121.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 589
Graph seems heavily smoothed, but they can't be all bad.
Looking forward to some impressions on this, they look beautiful.
Seems they want a relatively big box.
I do not understand what they mean about the VC inductance?
L1: 0.18mh L2: 0.36mh

... Is it dual voice coil?
Just found this thread so a bit behind. I just received fast 10, now out of stock as crystal 10 is the replacement at double the price. To try them I built bass reflex box 105 litres and ran it in my workshop. To start bass was light but over several days bass is now good and very natural sounding. Overall very balanced sound with very detailed mids and highs. As thus box is too wide for my listening I built tqwt from plans I received from someone testing crystal 10. So I now have both boxes playing in the workshop and I'm very impressed with these drivers. Every time I go to the workshop I am so impressed with them. They will be replacing my Zu's when I get the other tqwt built.

Haha, just posted and seen the post before mine is Leon who I got the plans from. I hadn't got around to reading all the posts

These crystal10 seem to be outrageously expensive. I recently bought a pair of Fane 12-250TC for the handsome price of $250Aud including shipping, from Thomann.de. I have mounted them in 600×1200 open baffle in WMW configuration, crossing over at 100Hz to Faital Pro helper woofers. They sound great. Are these crystal drivers worth nearly 6 times more? Does the crystal phase plug release a stream of orgone energy when excited by a musical signal releasing positive energy and new wave consciousness into your music environment?

At the very least are the crystal10 worth 2x the Fast10. Or are Chinese manufacturers trying to lift margins by producing a supposedly premium product. Maybe it is a premium product!

These crystal10 seem to be outrageously expensive. I recently bought a pair of Fane 12-250TC for the handsome price of $250Aud including shipping, from Thomann.de. I have mounted them in 600×1200 open baffle in WMW configuration, crossing over at 100Hz to Faital Pro helper woofers. They sound great. Are these crystal drivers worth nearly 6 times more? Does the crystal phase plug release a stream of orgone energy when excited by a musical signal releasing positive energy and new wave consciousness into your music environment?

At the very least are the crystal10 worth 2x the Fast10. Or are Chinese manufacturers trying to lift margins by producing a supposedly premium product. Maybe it is a premium product!
That fane driver is for pro audio, I can't comment beyond that as I haven't heard them but fast 10 is up there with the best I've heard, i.e. Voxativ field coil, lowther ( warts and all ) autotech front horns with BMS compression drivers, vitavox horns etc.

So glad someone took the plunge on these. I have drooled over the photos for some time.
They also sell a phenolic cone midrange modeled after the M6 driver I believe. I have shelves filled with vintage drivers whose life arc is on a downward trajectory due to aging
Adhesives, and fatigued cones and suspensions. Had drivers like these been available for
What I think are decent prices relative to overpriced vintage gear, I could have saved thousands of hours combing ebay and as many dollars spent. An interesting comparison would be to the much cheaper Dayton point source drivers. Sorry if these were mentioned earlier.

I have shelves filled with vintage drivers whose life arc is on a downward trajectory due to aging .....

I don't want to seem like I want to much,

However,

Could you take some pictures

'An post them here?

I get a rush/buzz from,

Broken drivers ,

As well ....

Attachments

• sp-w-mobo-c.jpg
    sp-w-mobo-c.jpg
    599.4 KB · Views: 392
  • s-l1600 (25).jpg
    s-l1600 (25).jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 401
  • s-l1600 (26).jpg
    s-l1600 (26).jpg
    251.3 KB · Views: 102
I now have crystal 10 in quarter wave boxes, all round just that bit better than fast 10 and not outrageously expensive when compared with lowther or voxativ.

Hi Paul,

care to share some photos and measurements? For sure the crystal 10 is interesting. I´m still enjoying the Fast 5 TML from time to time, now with an appropriate filter, although it´s not in the same league as my better drivers, EMS and Fertin.

All the best

Mattes

Hi Paul,

care to share some photos and measurements? For sure the crystal 10 is interesting. I´m still enjoying the Fast 5 TML from time to time, now with an appropriate filter, although it´s not in the same league as my better drivers, EMS and Fertin.

All the best

Mattes
I don't do measurements, I enjoy music with my ears. I know this is DIY audio and most here are about designing and building you will just have to buy some I assure you, you won't be disappointed. Don't know how to post pictures on here

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.