Focal JMLab Electra 946 Xover upgrade

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello guys, a new member here!
I'm thinking in upgrade the components of my xovers (caps and resistors).
The 946's xovers has 8 caps (5 mkp Solen made i think and 3 super cheap bipolar) and 9 resistors (one of 1.2 ohms for the tweeter and 8 of 56 ohms in parallel for the woofers).
I have he idea of change all the caps for Mundorf Supreme EVO Silver Gold Oil and resistors for Mundorf Supreme M-Resist (1.2 ohms) and MOX (56 OHMS).
What do you think?with this upgrade my speakers really blows my mind or is wasted money?the changes in this kind of upgrades are major changes or are very subtle?
Is my first post here and i don't know how to upload images, i have the schematics of the xover sended to me by Focal and a few pictures of the xover downloaded from internet.
Thank you all and a big hug from Argentina!
Pablo

Would not do much, would more likely give you a different kind of sound.

If you want to improve the capacitors the better way to do it is to use several small caps in place of one large one. EG if you have a 10uf cap, replace it with 10 x 1uf caps.

I saw a patent for this when i was at the patent office. According to the author small caps charge and discharge faster than big ones, and also the esr is divided down because of the parallel connection. Also, place your crossover in the corner of the cabinet onto some dynamat, as the cabinet is strongest at the corners and you get less vibration.

Hello guys, a new member here!
I'm thinking in upgrade the components of my xovers (caps and resistors).
The 946's xovers has 8 caps (5 mkp Solen made i think and 3 super cheap bipolar) and 9 resistors (one of 1.2 ohms for the tweeter and 8 of 56 ohms in parallel for the woofers).
I have he idea of change all the caps for Mundorf Supreme EVO Silver Gold Oil and resistors for Mundorf Supreme M-Resist (1.2 ohms) and MOX (56 OHMS).
What do you think?with this upgrade my speakers really blows my mind or is wasted money?the changes in this kind of upgrades are major changes or are very subtle?
Is my first post here and i don't know how to upload images, i have the schematics of the xover sended to me by Focal and a few pictures of the xover downloaded from internet.
Thank you all and a big hug from Argentina!
Pablo
Sorry to pull-up old post. Do you have parts list or picture of the crossover?
Thanks

Hi vincepgh,
My project turns to the crazy side the last year and probably will be done in a few months.
After an extensive research lots of custom made Duelund CAST Cu Sn capacitors and inductors will be part of the upgrade.
You can follow the whole process in my fb "Duelund & Mundorf Fanatics", you are welcome friend.
Thank you for the reply!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.