Thin walled box sounds better than my upgrade in a thick cabinet

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The BBC did considerable research into thin-walled cabinets for audio loudspeakers in the 1970's. Some commercial designs were built and sold based on the concept.

Google a bit for some papers which might help you understand their conclusions. I'm not suggesting they were "right", but they did learn many things that you might benefit from if you are considering thin-walled construction.

When I was a kid I made a few sets of speakers out of cardboard boxes.

They actually sounded pretty good.

I even now have a small speaker in a cardboard box as a small test bench speaker.
I just cut the hole and put Plastic grating over the front of the speaker to protect it.

I suspect the important thing about harnessing the effects of a resonant enclosure for enhanced sound quality, is that you want it to be resonating to your specification rather than in random places due to poorly conceived design or build quality. The comparison with guitar bodies is well founded.

If you don't calculate and measure the effects then of course there's always a chance you'll be lucky, but there's a good chance you won't be, and no chance at all you'll be anywhere near optimal, even if 'optimal' to your ears features plenty of resonant warmth.

I was looking at a picture of an Opus Audio double 21" bass enclosure earlier today, grille off and without drivers, and was fairly shocked to see it was almost entirely unbraced on the inside:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Perhaps it's 25mm ply, but even so it's unusual not to brace a box at all, and that's bound to have a significant effect on such a large enclosure with such high sound pressure.

If someone suggested building a 2x21" bass enclosure without bracing, received wisdom would suggest it's a bad idea, but Opus have an excellent reputation for quality and a stringent approach to their R&D. In my experience it's well deserved, and I would definitely describe their systems as having a warm sound. There's something magic going on with that thick carpet coating also that's for sure.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.